Door Skin Replacement Question

Oldskool62

Veteran Member
Sep 29, 2017
Hey All,
Just got my 78 Camaro back from getting a new door skin and a few other panel jobs done. If you are looking at the drivers door from the inside at the mirror end of the door there was like bondo right in the corner and now there isn't. The passenger side has it.
Is it necessary? I spoke to a guy who I bought the skin from and he said its not but isn't it where the weather strip runs.

Thanks in advance.

badazz81z28

Veteran Member
May 4, 2001
Alabama
There should be no bondo from the factory. Are you referring to the material between the shell and the skin so there isn’t metal to metal contact?

xten

Veteran Member
Sep 24, 2014
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Hey All,
Just got my 78 Camaro back from getting a new door skin and a few other panel jobs done. If you are looking at the drivers door from the inside at the mirror end of the door there was like bondo right in the corner and now there isn't. The passenger side has it.
Is it necessary? I spoke to a guy who I bought the skin from and he said its not but isn't it where the weather strip runs.

Thanks in advance.
It's probably seam sealer.

Oldskool62

Veteran Member
Sep 29, 2017
There should be no bondo from the factory. Are you referring to the material between the shell and the skin so there isn’t metal to metal contact?
In the door shell there are rectangular holes that look like they were stamped out from the factory. I will see if I can get a shot.,

Last edited:

ob355

Mar 4, 2022
Like said above its seam sealer, it will prevent water from entering the door from the top corner where the two edges meet.

Oldskool62

Veteran Member
Sep 29, 2017
I think you all have answered my question but (and appreciated). Not a good shot but this is whats going on. Also shouldn't that tab be under the lip of the skin?

Attachments

• Door pic.jpg
    Door pic.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 85