Door skin time

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by arick793, Mar 12, 2017.

1. arick793

arick793 Veteran Member

I've never replaced a door skin before, but I've watched three videos on youtube and it looks like something I can do. I already have the door skins so there's no turning back. What would you guys reccomend to make the job go easier/better? Tools? Should I get a body dolly set? I know I need to get some quality sawhorses. Thanks in advance!

2. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

I never have done a door skin but I rolled up on my body guy today and he was skinning my door. This picture was taken 5 hours ago. IMG_7020.JPG

3. hillbilly75

hillbilly75 Veteran Member

Yup that's exactly what I have, the only complaint I have with it is that I don't have 2. Check Harbor Freight they might have it cheaper and it'll be the same one most likely. They are nice and you can adjust the legs with the chain.

4. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

I have the Harbor Freight ones, they were right around $20, Eastwood has heavier duty ones for not much more, but I have an Eastwood store local so no shipping.

5. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

6. roski9

roski9 Member

IMG_4006.JPG I just finished putting a door skin on. It was my first time. I did not think it was too bad. I mainly just followed some of the videos I had watched on YouTube. I did pick up a hammer and dolly set from harbor freight. It's not perfect by any means but not bad for a first timer.

Zstar likes this.
  7. Happy_Dan

Happy_Dan Veteran Member

I picked up a hammer and dolly set from Harbor Freight. The dollies are way too light. I ended up buying a couple from Mac tools. Much more money of course, but night and day difference. I bet it's the same with the hammers, but I haven't sprung for good one's of those yet.

8. bodymanbill

bodymanbill Veteran Member

image.jpg Here's my snap on door skin hammer. Never thought I would pay $115 bucks for a hammer but I would never want to use anything else. And i do atleast 3 or 4 skins a month so it paid for itself a long time ago

9. arick793

arick793 Veteran Member

The harbor freight stands are rated for a much lower weight. They look flimsier too. These doors are heavy, I want sturdy stands.