Door skin time

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by arick793, Mar 12, 2017.

1. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

The one I bought at a local auto paint store is rated for 1000 lbs. If I remember right the stand was $50.00, the wheels were 20.00 or 25.00.

2. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

Actually they support the doors just fine. They aren't flimsy either. I'd bet my stands & your stands are made in the same Ching-Chong factory.

budro6968 likes this.
  3. RickM

RickM Veteran Member

I did a door skin on my 81. Never done any body work but watched a guy do a skin on youtube. I needed to weld new metal on mine since the bottom of the door was rusted. I also bought a door skin hammer from harbor freight. It really made the job easier. Take your time lining everything up. When folding the skin on take your time and do a little at a time. I probably went around the door 15 times before it was completely folded over. I also applied SEM seam sealer between the skin and the door frame. I also sprayed rubberized undercoating on the inside of the skin before I installed it. Don't forget to put healthy blobs of sealer between the door crash bar and the new skin. On the drivers side you will need to transfer the mirror mounting bracket from the old door to the new (welding required). You also need to weld the door skin to the door frame at the top of the door.

It took me a long time to do it. But it can be done if you take your time.

4. arick793

arick793 Veteran Member

I have time. I have extra doors! Great tips, thank you.

5. arick793

arick793 Veteran Member

Today I bought the stand and the door skin hammer from Harbor Freight. I'll let you guys know how they work out

6. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

My body man bud always test fits the door with the new skin before all the final crimping. He claims the hassle of mounting the door is much easier than spending 2 days getting the body gaps aligned to the door. I thought about skinning mine for a long time but ended up finding another door. Good luck.

7. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Show us a pic of the hammer Please. I have the hammer & dolly set from H/F, Kind of crappy. The stand too. The stand is great not flimsy.

8. arick793

arick793 Veteran Member

[​IMG]

budro6968 likes this.
  9. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Thanks for the pic. I just found it on the H/F web site, Item #63263 for 24.99. Not a bad price. Probably only use a couple times.

10. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

My tip is hang door on car before you tack in the skin. My previous painter didn't and it was hard to adjust fender gap. The door is easy to shim back ,up,or down but moving forward to close fender gap is a pain. I will most likely have to pull off and redo or add and remove metal to get it correct.

clay's70 likes this.