Door skins... Goodmark vs AMD

woody80z28

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 8, 2004
walton, ny usa
My doors are 95% good, but that lower seam is bubbling, so I'm thinking new skins. How do they fit and which is better? The price on the two is within $25 each so I'm just concerned with getting the better-fitting brand. Who has used which and how did it work out?

Warhorse

Apr 13, 2012
I ordered both when I was restoring my 71. I sent back a Goodmark door skin and a Goodmark fender because of bad fitment. I used AMD instead, and while they weren't perfect, they were good, and much better than the Goodmark. My body guy agreed, and had an easy time of getting everything to line up. With paint, it looks as good as factory.

Warhorse

Apr 13, 2012
The thickness was the same between the aftermarket panels. It came down to the stamping, the way the body lines sat, and the overall fit. The AMD was just better on all three.

That being said, the panels were both for the passenger side. I hear that sometimes aftermarket panels fit differently depending on which side you order, so I can't speak for the driver's side.

global warmer

Veteran Member
Apr 1, 2010
Saratoga Springs NY
I bought mine through classic industries, they were OER origional equipment reproduction, I bought door skins that fit so bad, the body line on the botttom was over a 1/4 inch to short, the mirror bracket on the inside was missing. I also purchased front z28 front fenders 20 hours later of cutting grinding I through them in the garbage. I also bought rockers they fit perfect. I spent 1,300 dollars and am so pissed off!!!!!!!!!!

jthomas

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Dec 5, 2007
NorthCentral PA
I used Goodmark door skins and they did NOT fit good. They took a lot of tweaking to get right including grinding and welding edges to get gaps right. I have not used AMD door skins but everything else I used from them fit better.

GoldenOne7710

Equal Opportunity Offender
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 23, 2004
Athens, GA
I also used Goodmark for all the panels I replaced. Both door skins, both fenders and the passenger side 1/4 panel. Do I search on the thread I started about the Goodmark hood I bought....and carried back for a refund.

All my sheet metal took quite a bit of massaging to make it 'fit' properly. Thankfully, my body guy is a wizard when it comes to working/forming metal and making it fit like it's supposed to. As of now, it all looks really good. I'm beyond impressed with the final fitment and alignment of the aftermarket sheet metal.

Rustbucket350

Veteran Member
Sep 4, 2013
Oviedo, Florida
I can't remember if I used Goodmark or AMD door skins, but I know they looked great before I mounted the doors on the car. Now that they're on... its a different story. I think either way you'll have to weld and grind unless you get a perfectly stamped set.

Edit: If its only part of the door that's your issue, I'd seriously consider either buying a lower door patch or making one yourself. Its a lot of work to re-skin the doors. Much more than it would be to weld in a patch and use some filler.

Last edited: