door speakers-enclosing lower panel

Discussion in 'Car Audio, Electronics & Security' started by Chuck71RS, May 7, 2015.

1. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

4" speaker mounted into the driver lower door panel. Would sound quality be improved by enclosing the interior of the lower panel? If so, how far from the speaker and what kind of material?

[​IMG]

Couple other mounting photos
    - almost 2 inches of nylon spacers to offset the front of the speaker
    - Fitting enclosures for the exterior with a soft wood (basswood from Hobby Lobby)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy LS Swapped 1971 Camaro

I'm not so sure if your going to get much sound performance out of those 4" speakers. And the placement is going to put them at your hip.

If your wanting to use those lower build outs for speakers I would suggest making a 6.5"wood ring, located more forward. The larger speaker is going to sound way better.

Use the same principal your doing there, with the rods...but instead of wood stretch some fleece or an old t-shirt over the plastic panel.

Then fiberglass it and let it dry. You can use filler to smooth it out. Then you can paint the whole piece or wrap in vinyl or carpet.

3. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Need to stay with what I have. Speaker cost and covering over the present hole would look horrible.

Will try for more upward angle