Door weatherstripping install issues

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by Terrys75LT, May 23, 2020.

1. Terrys75LT

Terrys75LT New Member

So I bought a weatherstrip set. Started with the drivers roof rail. Got it tucked up in the rail but when I closed the door across the top of the window in didn't even touch the new weather stripping. There's about a 1/8" gap. It seemed to fit in the rail correctly. Any thoughts on what could be going on?

2. 73 Z

73 Z Veteran Member Gold Member

Need to adjust window

3. Terrys75LT

Terrys75LT New Member

I’ll give that a shot. Thanks. I’m also replacing the wiper on the outside. While adjusting the window can it be lowered more first to get the screws out for that piece or does the window need to be removed.

4. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

One thing I found on my car was that the profile of the top of windows didn't quote match the profile of the roof rail. The glass would contact the front and rear just fine, but in the middle portion not as well.

I couldn't get the center to make good contact unless I had the front and rear part of the glass really jammed into the rubber, which made the door hard to close.

This had always resulted in a lot of wind noise.

So i removed the weather strip channel and spaced down the center portion about an 1/8" or so. Now the glass makes uniform contact from front to rear.

75Maro likes this.
  5. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Remove the door panel and in the bottom inside the door you will see an adjustable bump stop. This stop is used to set how low you want the window to crank down. Loosen the bolt so the bump stop slides down, then crank the window down and replace the wiper.

6. Terrys75LT

Terrys75LT New Member

Thank you for the responses. Much appreciated. The outside wiper is on. Still working on the roof rail weather stripping. Removing and shimming the non contact area may be the best bet. Thanks again everyone that replied.

7. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Not too uncommon...All these weather-strips from various companies are all different. Some are thicker and thinner than others...Yours sounds like an easy fix, just adjust the up stops. New seals can be tight and you might not want to go adjusting windows until they have sit in for a bit. New seals will force the glass to sit differently than relaxed seals. The pressure from the forward part of the seal might be keeping it from going all the way up.