door/window weatherstrips

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by arnies81camaro, Sep 11, 2012.

1. arnies81camaro

arnies81camaro Member

Can anyone recommend a brand of weatherstips for my 81 camaro? I bought a set of OER weatherstrips and after installation you have to slam the door to close. they are really thick and stiff weatherstrips! I called OER and they said try a heat gun on them or lay them out on the asphalt to warm them up! so they went in the trash! I'm looking for a set that will fit nice and the doors close easy! Help!!!

2. GOLF72

GOLF72 Veteran Member

OER is good but I like Metro or Soft Seal. Anyway, over a period of time by opening and cloisng your door the weather stripping will take its form and the problem should reduce or go away completely. Mine did...

3. bnelson

bnelson Member

I had the same problem with my OER but you need to let them form to your window. It took time and patience.

What helped me was to armor-all the weatherstripping so the window would close easily or at least more easily than when it was dry. If they were dry you'd have to reef on them too much.

I also rolled my window up all the way, shut the door fully, and used a hair drier to heat up the mating surfaces. If it would have been in the summer, I would have just parked it in the hot TX sun.

4. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Buy the MetroMold kit from FBodywarehouse.

The SoffSeal ones are known to be of poor quality. Aces bought a set and posted up some pics of what they looked like after only a year or two.

5. Keizer

Keizer BANNED

I used Metro on my doors and upper roof rails. I was really happy with the result. I have often wanted to record the sound of my doors shutting because it sounds perfect. :D

6. aps63

aps63 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I used all Soffseal and really liked the quality and the way the fit.
    Just my opinion.

7. arnies81camaro

arnies81camaro Member

I just ordered the metro weatherstrip seals! I'll let you know how they fit! thanks for the info...

8. TDPalmer

TDPalmer Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I use Metro too, I like the 15 year replacement warranty no questions asked. :)