Door wont sit flush!!!

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Trashman, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Trashman

Trashman New Member

I reskinned my door and I cant for the life of me get this door to sit flush with with the quarters. Door latches and I can push it in flush but it just returns. Also the top of the door is lined up but the gap is like 1/2 at the rear:screwup: maybe I skinned it wrong? What you guys think, bad latch?

2. Red70Camaro

Red70Camaro Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Have you tried moving the door striker in? Those can be adjusted to move the door in or out.
    Maybe the door just needs adjusted to fix the 1/2 gap? Is the fender to door gap and the door to rocker gap good?

3. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yeah, please take some pics of ALL the gaps so we can see. Then we can try and figure it out.

4. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

^^this.

5. 1981blackZ28

1981blackZ28 Veteran Member

New weatherstip?

How did the old door fit?

6. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy LS Swapped 1971 Camaro

#1 - Did the old door fit good? Did you test fit the door prior to installing the skin?

#2 - if the door did fit good did you drill some 1/8" holes in the hinges to mark the position of the door before removing. That would be a good starting point after putting the door back on.

#3 - Did you use new or rebuilt hinges before or after skinning the doors?

#4 - Have you skinned a door before, what tools did you use?

#5 - those skins aren't going to be "perfect" after you installed, your going to have some variances in gaps after putting them on. Do not expect them to be like a brand new door and it's going to bolt on with no issues.

In some ways your opening a whole new can of worms by doing a re-skin. Expect to have weird gaps that are going to need grinding or metal added to for a perfect fit.

All you could do is make sure the door fit great prior to the skinning and hope for the best...door alignment isn't a fun thing to do :mad:

7. Trashman

Trashman New Member

Ill get some pics this weekend. Door did shut fine before. Rebuilt the hinges while the door was off. weather stripping is off a parts car, This is the 2nd door I reskinned. Did the passenger and it looks great. I used some great instructions provided by a member of this forum in the project progress section. They are "New" re pop door skins that I removed from a parts car, but i dont think that would matter as I was careful.