Draft in the 60s

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by bfmgoalie, Sep 16, 2020.

1. bfmgoalie

bfmgoalie Veteran Member

I was watching a documentary on Vietnam in the 60s. As I watched, a thought came across......how did all the college athletes who graduated in the 60s and went on to play professional sports not get drafted?

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Some got drafted anyway. Unless you had a Dad or Coach or someone who personally knew a Senator or other high politician, you were on the draft list and likely got called. You had to have some political pull to get out of it.

3. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

In Jan. of '73 my number got called for the draft and I was like oh sheet. 2 weeks later Nixon came on TV and said the was was ending and they were not taking anymore draftees. Lucky break I guess.

4. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

If I remember correctly athlete’s weren’t exempt from the draft. The only famous if you want to call him an athlete was Cassius Clay AKA Muhammad Ali. There were other athletes drafted but I can’t remember anymore. Myself I received my draft notice in summer of 68 and I did a deferred enlistment and joined to avoid being a grunt. I got lucky and got trained as a helicopter mechanic and became a crew chief and of course in early of 69 you can guess where I ended up yep Vietnam.

5. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

Bit off topic,I'm about 10 years too young,but seems all the fellas I know of that era/age remember their "draft number" immediately-Thanks to all vets especially in these strange times :) Later Steve!!

6. Gary S

I got drafted into the Marines in 1968, and by mid-1969, I was doing time in Vietnam. One of the guys in my unit over there that was also a draftee was the son of a man who owned a large heavy equipment manufacturing company. His Dad told him that he knew people who could get him deferred, but the Son said no. He would serve his duty just like everyone else. You have to respect people like that. He survived and came home and took over the business.

7. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

There was different ways to get differments back in the day .Especially those with the right connections .And even in the 1970`s there are those who I went through Marine Corps boot camp .Who ended up the other way ,You could go to jail .And or join the military instead. My brother got out of going Vietnam by joining the National guard instead.

8. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Kerry Taylor was born April 25, 1950 - almost 4 years older than me. He was a very talented multi sport athlete in HS. I was the bat boy for the American Legion team he played for.

We both graduated from Hibbing HS in Hibbing, MN. Kerry graduated in 1968 and that summer started playing minor league ball for the Gulf Coast League Twins (a Minnesota Twins minor league team).

[​IMG]

Kerry ended up getting called for military service in July of 1968 and never completed his first year in the minors.

On January 21, 1970, while stationed at Long Khanh in Vietnam, Spec 4 Taylor died.

Kerry's nephew and namesake, Kerry Taylor was also drafted by the MN Twins in 1989. That Kerry played professional ball for 11 years in the United States with stints in MLB in 1993 and 1995 with the San Diego Padres.

RIP

9. Gary S

For those who don't know or don't remember, there was no draft lottery in the 1960s. The lottery was a new way of doing things. The first drawing was on Dec 1, 1969 for use in 1970, so the lottery was a 1970s thing.
    Before the lottery, young men became subject to the draft on their 18th birthday and remained on the draft list for 8 years until their 26th birthday. The lottery changed that so men were on the draft list only 1 year instead of 8 years. That made planning their lives much easier.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  10. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I remember back in 1979 having my Dad take me on my 18th birthday to the local Post office so I could register for the Selective Service program . It was a proud father and son moment as my Father was a Korean War Veteran . I eventually joined the Marine Corps in early 1981