draining coolant

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by loudvolvo, Feb 17, 2010.

1. loudvolvo

loudvolvo Veteran Member

i feel like i should know the answer this questino but i don't. Im gonna swap cams this spring and was wondering is there a way to drain all the coolant out of the block? i cant see it all coming out when i take off the radiator hoses. i need to flush the coolant out anyway, gonna run distilled water for the track

2. Simon@London

[email protected] Veteran Member

Get 2 pails ready once you have it jacked up or on stands.

Remove engine plugs on the block after you drain rad first. I do my rad first then have two clean pails moved under motor to drain the block plugs. Do driver side first which should drop 3 gallons of coolant and leave small dish under it to catch droppings. Open other plug next sliding your pail across and when you finished you should have about a five gallon pail almost filled.

Wipe floor with rags and your done but put rad cap back on halfway to keep out dirt. Use a nice clean white pail to get a good view of what's happening inside your motor. I like removing my antifreeze to see very clean green liquid that I know tells me my engine is in nice working condition inside.

Watch for any strange colours that may be other issues.

3. 1974Z28

1974Z28 Veteran Member

And when you put it back together replace the block drain plugs with petcock valves (like on the bottom of the radiator) makes it much easier the next time you have to drain the block.

4. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Two or more drain pans along with some kind of adsorbent material to get all of the overflow and drips that don't make it into the pans. Antifreeze is an ecological nightmare which pollutes the aquifer.

5. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

If the antifreeze has been in there a while you might need to punch out the crusty stuff in the drain holes before it will drain. The holes are located just above the oil pan near the center of the block, lots of sediment there.

6. loudvolvo

loudvolvo Veteran Member

how big are the holes on the block? I remember seeing what looked like a square headed bolt on each side slightly above the pan.

7. bigbear40

bigbear40 Veteran Member

The bolts are square headed and they're just above the oil pan like you said. There's one plug on both sides of the engine block. I forget what size wrench I used to loosen them. Just try a few wrenches, then use the one that fits best.

8. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Why you draining the coolant out of the block? You just need ot out of the rad for a cam change.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  9. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It's a good idea to drain ALL of he antifreeze that you can. Necessary? No. But it makes the job a lot less messy in the long run.

10. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois..... Far S.W. Subs, RT 66 Area

Adding the petcocks is a great tip.
    It makes it much easier, and that way you will do it more often to keep the crap from settling.