drip rails, mylar (plastic)

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by camaro lover, Dec 2, 2020.

1. camaro lover

camaro lover Veteran Member

has anyone used these? i see they come as a flat piece and have to be bent to fit. just wondering if they bend and fit well or if i should be going the stainless style route.

2. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My 71 had the plastic drip rails. Not sure if it was factory or dealer installed.. After a couple of years they faded, dried out and cracked. LOOK LIKE CRUD even when new

During this rebuild I installed the stainless steel drip rails and glad I did. They compliment the windshield trim and vice versa. Did some 2000 grit sanding then buffed to a chrome like shine. REALLY LOOKS GOOD. Some shaping was needed to conform rail edge that goes over the roof edge but nothing complicated (paint stick and vise grips). I have a vinyl top so maybe this is not needed for those without. It was worth the price

The rail possibly, maybe could cause some friction increase with the glass rolling up and down along the A-pillar for it adds a bit of thickness in this area. I can not say for certain because I was also dealing with other issues to get my windows to go up and down.

Zstar likes this.
  3. rburrow87

rburrow87 Veteran Member

I bought some Mylar ones because I was tired of any water on the roof dripping directly on me. They're okay, but overpriced for what they are IMO. Also seems like they need some kind of adhesive to actually stay put. I would get stainless ones if I were to do it over.

4. camaro lover

thanks for your thoughts. i am a bit concerned about the fit of the new stainless rails. should have known the plastic ones wouldn't compare as well.

5. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

I used the stainless as well. Well worth the money.

6. camaro lover

i found a set of factory steel ones from a guy i sold most of my leftover parts to a couple years ago. paid $100 for the pair. i think i did pretty good. no dents. do they use the same holes that the weather strip guide is fastened to the body with? also, do they need to have some silicone against the body? the only how to i found wouldn't show the pics in the write up. it will be a spring job once i can get the car out of my shop.

7. lapedr

lapedr Veteran Member Gold Member

I tried them and am going to switch to the metal drip rails also

8. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The ss rails use the same holes but I had to Dremel the holes some. This could be due to the vinyl covered roof.

Along the edge of the roof I used a thin ribbon of butyl caulk to prevent water from being trapped between roof-rail. I can't say if silicone is good to use ore not. How much is hard to put in words for you don't want it to squeeze out to the surface

9. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mid 80’s on my 80 Z28, I used the plastic ones that already had 2 way tape on them and it actually was a gutter and worked well.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
  10. camaro lover

thanks for the info guys