Drive shaft and transmission

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by Jerry M, Aug 19, 2020.

Which transmission should I keep?

1. 700r4

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Thm350

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Jerry M

Jerry M Member

Hey all, I recently have been having some big problems with my 700r4 transmission not doing anything correct. Not shifting, not working in general, puking it’s fluid everywhere in the garage about once a month, and when it did decide to shift on the test drive, it was SUPER hard, jerked the entire car, and was also at about 3700 rpm. The plan is to take it out of the car and see if it needs to be rebuilt, in the mean time we have had a thm350 sitting around for a little bit that has a 9 inch cone. The total length is about 1/16 of an inch shorter than the 700r4, will this be bad for the driveshaft? It’s only 1/16 but I’m not real knowledgeable with specific stuff like that.

I am also interested in what you guys think, should I go through and rebuild the 700r4 so I keep overdrive and cruising ability? Or do I just swap in the thm350 because it’s more durable and will better handle the 388 we have that we will put in within a year or so?

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Are you sure the TV cable is adjusted correctly on the 700? Those things are flaky and cause a lot of shifting problems.

I can't see that 1/16" difference would matter.

3. Jerry M

Jerry M Member

I have thought about that as well, although I can’t tell if readjusting has done anything since the car is currently stuck in the garage, need more coolant as it overheated and spat out a good amount, and then the overdrive lockout we got wasn’t sealed correctly and couldn’t take the pressure of driving so now the transmission is empty of fluid as well. Once all the fluids are topped off, we will try that, hope it fixes the shifting problems, but we are going to still do some investigating, make sure we didn’t fry the clutches in the test drive or something

4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

As you found... The TH350 with a 9" tail housing will be virtually identical to the 700r4 length.
    The current driveshaft should work without issues.

If it was a 1/2" longer (or shorter)... That's too much difference!
    But 1/16" shorter will just leave that much less contact with the driveshaft to the output shaft of the transmission.

Long term... I would probably get the 700r4 rebuilt as you will really miss OD when you go back to a TH350.