Driver intelligence evaporating.

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by ol' grouch, Nov 15, 2018.

1. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Well, it's that time of year again. We got our first snow of the season last night. It's not much but already the schools are on two hour delays. Last night, it wasn't snowing that heavy but there was a BUNCH of wrecks and slide offs. I can see a kid who is just learning to drive having issues. It's older people who should know better that cause most wrecks. Kids know they aren't any good. Older people, at least around here, expect snow and ice to be just like clean dry pavement in the summer.

I think the delays are to let the older, more stubborn drivers who insist on using cruise control to get off the roads.

Smokey15 and [email protected] like this.
  2. MotionClone

MotionClone Veteran Member

We have the same issues up here in Maine. Lots of stupid people around.

3. xten

xten Veteran Member

Around here, a lot of it is black ice. People get over confident on wet (salted) roads. We got freezing rain, sleet last night and supposed to get an accumulation. Can't get anywhere in this area without going over a bridge, approach or exit ramp. These ice up immediately, especially when it's windy.

4. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

a question for you northerners?
    when you go for your drivers license (@ 16 ) do you still do a standard drive if it is snow and ice out? or do they cancel the drive part?
    It's been a FEW yrs since i had mine but BACK THEN we would feed the horses then..lol.... actually drive for about 20 minutes on the [email protected] speed.... with an inspector.

5. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

My mother took her test in a truck and lived in a town in Oregon that was a fishing community and had to back a trailer down a boat ramp the vehicle had a standard transmission!

Wish they did that today.

My son drives a semi truck over the road he is 29 years old he hauls a flat bet trailer.
    Just the other day he cam across a bunch of vehicles in the ditch on bot sides of the road and the semi in front of him went off in the ditch ..He noticed the arch in the road and NO cars around and did not want the ice to put him in the ditch with everyone else.

He hit the trailer brakes and swung the trailer out sideways and drifted the semi and trailer around the corner and pulled it all together on the straight and watched the semi behind him go into the ditch.

A guy in a cattle hauler got on the CB and said Man that was some excellent driving!.

My 2 boys drifted a lot never thought one would drift a semi truck and trailer.

There was a section of highway that had a wide sweeping turn and banked pretty good and all the cars were sliding on wet ice to the bottom and crashing into each other.
    I was in my lifted 2wheel drive E150 van and seen it all happening so I went high on the turn and stuck my tires into the grass on the shoulder until i got around the banked turn.
    No issues..I seen many follow me on that path.

One other time I hit what seemed like slick black ice in a long turn but temps were in the mid 40's
    It was just past midnight I was on my way home from work and cars were piled up in the ditches on both sides of the road..
    I watched 2 in front of me go into the ditch.
    I noticed the steering was not responding and I was slowly drifting off the road..I did not try and correct steering and held it where straight ahead would be and just before the shoulder it hooked up and went straight.
    Stayed on the highway just fine..another 300 feet down the road and I smell the scent of antifreeze.

Yep someone must have lost a radiator hose and slicked the highway down.
    I could see it in my head playing out with all those people trying to over correct the steering and into the ditch they went.
    Am I an old driver or young driver this was in my 40's when this happened.
    I Hate cruise control by the way. And my cars do not have it.

I tested cruise vs not using it on all highway and I got better MPG without it. this was an old Pontiac Sunbird 5 speed car--- 45 MPG

6. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Psychopathy Red

We don't need snow or ice around here to see wrecks everyday. The weather has no effect on dumbasses.

EDIT: The weather does have a multiplying effect on their dumbassness. You can spill a glass of water on the road and then watch 40 people wipe out on it.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    jeff swisher and shanghai Kid like this.
  7. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

in NY you take the written test , then schedule the 5 hr safety course then schedule your driving test . it takes months so that's why you don't cancel . I guess NY wants to give you a day or 2 to learn how to drive . I took one of my 3 or 4 tests ( revocations ) in the snow ..

8. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

Exactly why self driving cars can't happen soon enough. Most humans aren't intelligent enough to do it right.
    Be interesting though to see how they handle black ice. You first!

BillyDean7173 likes this.
  9. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

You can't fix stupid, it's a mental disease that has no cure.

10. bodymanbill

bodymanbill Veteran Member

Love stupid drivers, they've paid for mostly everything in my house. And the house to

351maverick and xten like this.