Drivers door stuck closed on my 75

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by bondora68, Sep 23, 2020.

1. bondora68

bondora68 Veteran Member

So, I have been having trouble unlocking the drivers side door (on my 75) with the key for awhile now and was just about to order new door and trunk locks when today I go out to the car and unlock the driver's door. The knob pops up but the door remains locked. I go in through the passenger's side and crawl over and the driver's door still will not open using the inside handle. What now?

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Remove the door panel and investigate the linkage.

3. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It will be a pain to remove the door panel with the door closed, you can try and roll the window all the way down , and see if you can spot the linkage from door lock to the lever that releases the door , when you lift the door handle, does it seem like the door is locked ? might just be stuck , and needs a good kick from inside, HAA HA , what a PITA

4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

If it's unlocked, it may be jammed.

The "Horizontal stomp" is a method which has been used successfully be numerous members,

One person lifts the handle and pulls from outside the car and a second person lays across the rear seat and "Stomps" the door open with the bottom of their foot. (Take shoes off to prevent damage to the interior panel.)

If it was jammed and stomping it open frees it up... Order a new latch for the door and replace it because it WILL happen again.

Also check your door hinge bushings to be sure they aren't getting sloppy.
    (Lift the bottom edge of the door to see if there's movement by the hinge pins.)
    Good Luck!

5. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Yeah, but with the window being restricted with the stops and the sweeps being in the way, its gonna be more time consuming to work your way in there. Its a 70-73...he doesn't have to remove the top rail like you would on a later car. I would cringe kicking the door. I rather buy a new door panel lol...

6. bondora68

bondora68 Veteran Member

OK, I put my shoulder into it and got it open. The latch was gummed up from 45 years of grime and dirt. I lubed it really good and worked the latch back and forth until it no longer caught and stuck. Hopefully no more issues.

7. kelvinJ

kelvinJ New Member

Good to hear you are able to muscle it out to open.

bondora68 likes this.