drivers rear corner

jeff73

Jan 19, 2010
new riegel ohio
Stripped my 73 for paint and found this. Anybody know where I can find a corner? Really don't want to put a whole quarter on it. I have the lower patch panel.
20220517_155044 (1).jpg

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
Some of that damage can be dollied closer to straight.

Unless you replace the whole quarter with a NOS ($$$) piece, it will require some rework to get perfect.

Patching will take some filler too.

There are body pros who can weld and grind with the end result requiring almost no filler.
But that kind of work doesn’t come cheap.

How good are your body working skills (and tools)?

Were you planning to do all of the work?

FooFighter

Gold Member
Aug 14, 2019
Columbia, MO
I think I would straighten it up a bit more and put filler back in it. When applied correctly the filler stays put. Apparently the old filler was in there pretty good. Filler is not a bad thing. Its bad when covering up rust or gaping holes. I don't thinks its worth all the work cutting the car apart. Cut it apart or put filler in it, its going to look the same when done. Filler is bad when you do a bad job with it and end up with a wavy panel. In my mind filler was meant for this exact type of issue. I'm sure others will chime in with an opinion. If you are handy with a welder then putting a new panel in might be easier.

tom3

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 1999
ohio
I was thinking the same thing. A good body/fender guy can do that and look perfect, last forever since there would be no moisture or corrosion on the back side. Fixing that corner to original is going to take some serious work.

72SS9681

Jul 20, 2014
Walla Walla, WA
If your still wanting to graft in the corner contact Dan's Garage in Kennewick WA. I know he has several 70-73's that would probably work. His web address is DansGarage.net. Since covid he has not had regular hours and rarely answers his phone. I would email him at [email protected] he should be able to help.

Tony65

Jun 27, 2015
Eastern Ma.
Before you do anything, can you make a poster board template of the passenger side that goes from the bumper mounting holes all the way to the side marker light? It looks like that whole are might still be pushed in quite a bit. If so, you'll probably need a porta power or bottle jack to push the corner back out and then you could work on cleaning up the dents and curves.

Making templates on a good side helps a lot to fix a bad side. I did this to fix an unobtainable 65 el camino quarter panel.