Driveshaft clearance?

Scott51

Veteran Member
Jan 2, 2012
New Zealand
How much clearance do you have between top of the driveshaft and the floor pan up front by the universal joint?

I’m changing my parking brake setup and would like to run the cables down the center of the driveshaft tunnel but want to make sure I’ve got enough room to mount the equalizer.

77 with a th400 is stripped down to a shell and on a rotisserie right now, and tricky to see how much space there is in photos.

Fbird

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 12, 2011
atlanta, ga
not thinking thats a very good plan. If anything I would think doing like a 2000 s-10 blazer.. (most newr stuff) 1 cable down driver side with a piggy back cable going from driver to passenger side over the rear end.

Scott51

Veteran Member
Jan 2, 2012
New Zealand
how come?
pretty much every car with a central handbrake lever is setup this way

To clarify I'm looking at doing something equivalent to this: http://1970boss302.blogspot.com/2017/02/lokar-e-brake-overview-install-mostly.html but crimping the lokar cable ends and running an equaliser like this:

tiH37IR.jpg

Have mocked up the cables with no issues, and the engineer has approved it in principal (a legal requirement where I am) but I want to make sure the equaliser won't rattle on the driveshaft when hitting bumps.

If it turns out there isn't enough clearance under the car plan b is to mount the equaliser assembly inside the car under the centre console (like many modern cars with central handbrake levers)

Latest posts