Driveshaft ID stripes

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by CamaroNmotion, Aug 7, 2016.

1. CamaroNmotion

CamaroNmotion Veteran Member

Just wanted to get your thoughts on who and what point and method (brushed on seems to be most popular answer) were the paint stripes on driveshafts placed to assist the line worker as to which shaft to install on car coming down the line. Was this an individual job for someone to prepare at the assembly plant or done somewhere else? Was a stencil used to paint them because they seem to be uniform in width and spacing.

2. 2ndGenCrazy

2ndGenCrazy Veteran Member

I have pics with measurements for 70Z Auto.

3. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The year of your car and trans will differ from mine. But here is my orig colors that came with my 70 Z28 with M20 trans.

Black faces the rear.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I have never looked at the driveshaft on my car, but I doubt that any of the paint stripes survived the years of driving in the rust belt. Rust won that battle many years ago.

5. Peter Wilson

Peter Wilson Veteran Member

I know a lot of the cars did have driveshaft stripes , but for what its worth .... my '71 was driven on the street for 1 summer and then was stripped down and converted into a drag car . Its a '71 Z28 , M21 . the trans and rearend were removed and replaced with a TH400 and a narrowed 9" . I got most of the take off parts with the car including the original driveshaft which was removed in '72 . Its red oxide color with No paint stripes and no signs that any were ever there

6. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My educated guess is that the driveshaft stripes were done with a brush or narrow roller. Most likely after the finished assembly was balanced. Every set of stripes I've seen are always perfect, as if the driveshaft was rotating when applied.

There is NO stripe color chart that I know of but drive shaft stripe color combinations varied depending on transmission used and maybe if it had heavy duty or standard U-joints. Van Nuys seemed to of used different stripe colors than Norwood which even makes it more confusing.

7. 70rsss

70rsss Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Here is the shaft from my 70 L34/TH400.

Attached Files:

8. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I agree with Scott and to take it a step further, my opinion is that the brushes/rollers were fixture and, as Scott indicated, applied to the shaft while spinning, which would account for the consistency of the stripes. It is also my opinion the stripes were not masked as this would have been cost/time prohibitive in a manufacturing environment where the important factor was identification, not aesthetics.

9. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Red oxide primer ?

10. CamaroNmotion

CamaroNmotion Veteran Member

Actually I'm interested for the year 1974. My driveshaft stripes are original and very legible for 4 speed. All the color from all 3 stripes is worn off thou. Just wondering if more 74 data is available to compare. Thank you anyhow.

In theory what some are you saying makes total sense on how they are applied and when applied because all the ones I've seen are always uniform in width and spacing, however location, spacing seem to differ between years and probably plants and transmissions.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016