Driveshaft ID stripes

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by CamaroNmotion, Aug 7, 2016.

1. roeville

roeville Veteran Member

Very interesting. Mine is black but was definitely repainted before I owned the car. I always thought they were originally unpainted.
    Mike

2. Peter Wilson

Peter Wilson Veteran Member

The primer on my driveshaft is much heavier on one side than the other , very light covering on one side with a slight amount of surface rust starting to show through , 180 degrees around to the other side the red oxide is much heavier with no surface rust coming through . the original u-joints and slip yoke are still installed on it as well . ive very carefully inspected it for any indication of stripes on or under the red oxide and see no indications of any . It does not seem to follow the same finish as any of the others that I have read about on here so maybe it was a service part ?? warranty replacement ? My car has only 11,000 miles and was taken off the street permanently in '72 and turned into a dragster . I know the Turbo 400 and 9" rear were put in the car early in its life as a dragster but possibly not until after a year or 2 after it was transformed into a race car . I know the original owner raced it with the M21 for the first year before he went to the T400 . Im sure the rearend and driveshaft were replaced with the 9"around that time as well . It is possible that he might have had to replace the shaft with a service part prior to removing the 10 bolt and M21. I will ask him next time Im talking to him . there are no dents or damage to the floor boards from a driveshaft or U-joint failure though.

3. joebarber

joebarber New Member

. Would you be able to share you're pics and measurements for you're driveshaft? I have a 70 Z28 automatic Van Nuys built. I'm to the stage of detailing the shaft and would like to only do it once

4. x77-69z28

x77-69z28 Veteran Member

I would be interested too. I have an 04D Van Nuys Z/28 auto as well

5. 2ndGenCrazy

2ndGenCrazy Veteran Member

I am thinking that I read here that the colors were yellow, brown, brown for TH400?

6. 2ndGenCrazy

Z28 stripe shaft 01.jpg Z28 stripe shaft 03.jpg

7. 2ndGenCrazy

After I sprayed it with Gibbs Penetrant. This is a Norwood 07C car. IIRC I measured from centerline of "U" joint.

8. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

For those of you that have a build sheet, the driveshaft stripe color code will be in box# 19 top row. The color will be abbreviated with 2 letters, such as BK = black or GR = green.

I'm interested in finding out the color codes for an M22.

9. KYRS

KYRS Member Gold Member

I have a 04A Van Nuys Z28 Automatic car, My drive shaft appears to have the following colors, measured from the center of drive shaft yoke 14" to 16", looks like a pinkish/orange stripe then brown brown strip. Then a yellow stripe at 27" from the yoke.

10. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I expect, but can't prove it that a L78 car would have the same stripes as any SS or Z28 with 4 speed as all those cars had the 12 bolt rear and Muncie trannys. The M22 in 1970 still had the same output shaft as the M21 and M20.