Drivetrain Vibration Questions

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Glava, Nov 15, 2021.

1. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I would try a test without the trim rings.

2. xten

xten Veteran Member

If you do take the driveshaft out, check the tailshaft bushing.

3. checkmate201

checkmate201 1970 SS 350 4sp 06 C

You say its done it since 1979 you have changed tires ,checked for bent rims and replaced one and nothing changed. You should check your driveshaft/pinion angles before taking anything apart. If they are good pull the driveshaft and have it checked and rebalanced.

4. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member

Do you feel any vibration in the steering wheel at all at any speed?

5. MChamp

MChamp Veteran Member

My apologies, but still have not stated which rim was bent initially...

6. Glava

Glava Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Going to be dry and 52f today, so I can do my focused road test and will definitely pay closer attention to where I feel the vibration, if it is in the wheel or seat of the pants at 60mph, 70mph and 80 mph.

7. Glava

Yes, that's the history -never checked driveshaft/ pinion angles before, so I'll have to google that one.

BTW love your 70 -my first Camaro was a 71 SS350, 4 speed -I don't think it had posi. It was Fathom green? with a light green fabric interior and wood inserts in the dash, doors and center console -I think.
    It was my hot rod, with a cam, long tube hooker headers through the stock exhaust and a 650 Holley
    This shot was in 75
    Loved that car!

SS 350.jpg

zambu and Dave Nelson like this.
  8. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Off topic ‘75 rang a bell. I bought my 71 Z28 in ‘75. M22, deluxe custom cloth interior.
    228EEAFF-7124-4073-9448-60BBF7D43494.jpeg 9A317F2D-112D-46B3-AFCA-D82AADEA710A.jpeg

zambu and Dave Nelson like this.
  9. Glava

Ok, went for the road test.
    Manual says cold tire pressure should be 26psi -I generally run 30psi, so i split it and went with 28psi.
    50 mph -nothing
    60 mph -maybe very slight -but with the close ratio and 373 rear the rpms are up.
    70 mph -pretty good vibration, that seems more seat of the pants and seeing in the rear view mirror.
    80 mph -actually seemed to be less vibration.
    90 mph -pretty good vibration -maybe even more than at 70mph and obviously the engine rpms are up there pretty good.

??? the vibration seems to be felt in my seat and legs, but there is some sensation in the steering wheel, but more like what I feel in the seat of my pants, not trying to turn the wheel in my hands.
    I guess it goes on the jack stands tomorrow to see what I can see.

10. rocket dawg

rocket dawg Veteran Member

On my every day mpg beater (2011 Chevy HHR) I had a shake at 59 to 62 mph in the steering wheel. Seeing it was a front wheel drive, I had an idea of where to look. Well 2 new wheel bearings, cv axles, struts, and motor mounts, brakes, still had the vibration. Rotated the tires ( I have 2 complete sets, summer and winter tires) changed out tires/wheels one at a time and test drove it. Still had a vibration. So tires and wheels were excluded.
    Whats left? 1 of the front brake rotors were out of whack. Replaced them and all is good. I did wheel bearing, brakes, and cv axles all at the same time-Car has 210k on it so it was basic maintenance. Never figured a brake rotor could be out of whack but it was. Seat of the pants would make me kinda think its in the rear, or at leas transmission and back. While on jack stands, wiggle rear wheels, check for looseness.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
    MChamp likes this.