Driving in freezing rain

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by John Wright, Feb 18, 2021.

1. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I left early this morning for work before too many idiots got out of bed and onto the roads and had settled in behind a plow spreading salt on the 4 lane. He was driving in the middle of the road to cover both lanes and I was giving him plenty of space to do his thing. I had 5 or 6 cars behind me after a few miles of travelling at 30mph when I noticed a set of headlights closing in really quick. I stared in the mirror as this vehicle was closing in fast in the hammer lane and flew past me. I pondered on what he was going to do when he got to the plow. Well, since there wasn't enough room to pass, he took to the median and passed the plow without ever touching his brakes...how he didn't lose it with 2 wheels on the median, I'll never know. At the rate he was travelling it would have made for a show worth paying for. Several miles later I passed an accident that had just happened on a bridge and a white pickup was on his roof and a car laying on the driver's door and several others pointing in the wrong direction with a tractor trailer straddling both lanes trying to get stopped. Wasn't the same truck though, this accident was in the opposite lane.

2. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member

Everything covered in a sheet of ice here, between the bad drivers, cell phones and the ice I'm staying put today.

3. DrPepper

DrPepper Veteran Member

Yeah, I'm staying put too. Located south of Richmond VA and ice is building up fast.
    Had a full day of body work planned on a '39 Bantam that's destined to become a street rod. But my truck is staying put in the garage.

John Wright likes this.
  4. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

Somehow, the idiots survive despite their best efforts to kill themselves.

5. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

usually it’s the innocent that suffer though.

John Wright likes this.
  6. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Freezing rain, don’t bother stay home. Unless you have a tank with tracks

bfmgoalie likes this.
  7. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

speaking of tracks, was on an AEP new substation jobsite a few years ago and everything had ice covering it after a warm day of snow melt and refreezing, a huge excavator was trying to get around on the site and started sliding and he tried everything to to get that machine under control. He finally had to just jab the 5 yard bucket in the ground to get stopped before heading over a 3 to 1 slope.

8. green 1977

green 1977 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

John... we had a similar thing happen over the weekend.... we just kept having to adjust our speed and distance to allow for the idiots

John Wright likes this.
  9. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

Living in western Canada, believe me, I'll take an arctic outflow bout of -35 to -40 over any period of dreezing frizzle or blizzards (particularly the heavy wet snow variety).

10. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

i am hoping for a little ice!!!! so I can teach my NEW DRIVING SON.....how to safely navigate such things.......may even have a little fun too ;)