Dropped spindles why not???

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by purpleflame, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Rick WI

Rick WI Veteran Member

I ran dropped spindles for a bit but simply could not get enough caster dialed into it. Went coil overs. Quality of them seemed just fine and could have got an adjustable A Arm to solve the caster. With the amount of drop they gave I would have also needed a stronger spring.

2. purpleflame

purpleflame Veteran Member

qoute off Eaton springs webpage
    Cutting Coil Springs
    Every now and then the question comes up and customers want to know, "Can we cut coil springs to lower a vehicle?"
    Our answer is, "The design of the end of the spring determines if it can be safely cut. If it has the right end, it is OK to cut it."
    Coil springs have 3 basic type of ends -
    •Tangential- where the end of the coil continues to twist off into space. A spring with a tangential end would fall over if you tried to stand it on its end.
    •Square - the last coil bends back down to touch the coil below it. This style end allows the spring to stand up when placed on this end.
    •Pigtail - the last coil of the spring is the square type but has a much smaller diameter than the coils in the body of the spring.
    Tangential End Square End Pigtail End
    The type of ends a coil spring has is determined by how the springs are mounted in the suspension. A coil spring can have 2 of the same ends or it can have 2 different ends.
    The only Coil Spring Ends that can be safely cut are Tangential Ends.
    Because Square ends and Pigtail ends are designed to make full contact with their mounting points, they would have to be re-shaped after they were cut. But in order to re-shape them the steel would have to be heated and heat is a spring's worst enemy.
    So, Coil springs with Square or Pigtail ends can not be safely cut.

70-81 camaros use tangential coils then right?

3. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The coils are tangental on the bottom and sit into a lower spring seat in the control arm. There are a couple of holes in this pocket to "clock" the spring so that it seats properly.

They are usually "squared off" on the top so that the sping is located around the outside of the "fingers" in the sub frame and sits flat against the metal surface.

4. purpleflame

purpleflame Veteran Member

cool thanks, thats what I was looking for so there tangential on the bottom, squared on top. so we cut the bottom and then clock them when re-installing.

5. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

yes, exactly right

6. wardracing

wardracing Veteran Member

can we use coil spring compressors on are stock a arms to take coil out?

i work at advance and have aces to loaner kits.

i have never taking a coil spring out just helped somebody when i was younger dont remember much besides getting hurt