Drum brake help!

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by 7.62fmj, Jul 31, 2018.

1. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You do have them set at just touching, when you spin them right? And while the wheel is still up, after pressing the brakes they are releasing correctly? Also some do make a noise, however, after all of this you would think they would be quiet

2. 7.62fmj

7.62fmj Veteran Member

I had them putting a bit of drag on the drum then reversed and brakes a couple times.

3. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I think , when you spin the tire, you want , just the least amount of drag, just enough, to know that they are right there, if you know what I mean, and the backup thing was something an old mechanic taught me to seat the shoes correctly, if there was a question, he said that would , put them into place, you just do not want the drums , dragging on the drum, the way the front pads do on the rotors.

4. frank5s

frank5s Veteran Member

You should take a pliers and close the end of the springs on the metal rod and on the top pivot point.
    The end doesnt need to touch but should be closer like parallel. Don't want springs slipping off
    Frank