1. PBZ28

PBZ28 Veteran Member

A friend of mine sold his 72 Z28 and is willing to give me a great deal on a set of like new rear brake drums. Could I use them on my 79 Z28? Thanks!

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

3. PBZ28

PBZ28 Veteran Member

Thanks Twisted! Looking at the RockAuto specs the biggest differences are the mount hole diameter ( stud holes ) .453 and .531 and the outside diameter 11.46 and 11.87. The 1979 specs are the bigger numbers. Wondering why, I checked the size of the wheel studs. The only difference is in the width of the threads .4375 and .472 ( knurl diameter - thread diameter ).And again the bigger number is for the 79. But both years use 7/16-20 threads. The center bore is very close at 2.81 and 2.78, but this time the 72 is the slightly bigger number. Both years use the same brake shoes. I’ll try a test fit and post what I find. Thank you for the link!

4. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

you will need to check that center bore diameter as it is what locates the rotor to run true. The only difference I can think of is in 1972 you COULD have a 12 bolt rearend....axles MIGHT be different compared to a 10 bolt

5. PBZ28

PBZ28 Veteran Member

Update: Well the drum seemed to fit ok. Center bore was snug. Will road test tomorrow and let you guys know how it went. Glad I’m giving it a try as I found my adjuster arm not contacting the star wheel. It looks like the heavy gauge wire on the top post/pin is loose because the loop has been widened over the years. Didn’t want to try and bend it until a replacement is available if it breaks. I think some folks call it a z bar due to it’s shape around the wheel cylinder. Thanks for your input.

6. PBZ28

PBZ28 Veteran Member

Did about a 10 mile road test and seemed just fine. Normal brake performance and feel. Will pull the drums in about 50 miles just as a precaution and to adjust the brake adjuster function. Have about a 1/8 inch between the arm and star wheel. Looking for drum rebuild kits that have the Z bar and so far no luck. Was the pandemic the cause of auto parts being scarce now? Maybe a junk yard where you pull what you need may be the best bet now.