Dry or Wet filter element?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Goat, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Z28SSRS

Z28SSRS Veteran Member

I know it may be more expensive but what I have always done when I have used an oil impregnated filter is to replace it with a brand new one when it came time to change it rather than clean it and reoil it. This negates the possibility of over oiling it.

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

^^ I wouldn’t stress over it, you’re not doing something a million people over haven’t done all ready. MOST of of us LS guys are using some K&N type of oiled filter. It’s not new and suspicious where you need “to do your research”

3. badazz81z28

Pics

Attached Files:

4. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I don't know many serious performance guys (running EFI) that still use the K&N wet style air filters anymore. Oil coating the MAF sensor (as previously mentioned) is the primary reason.

Here's the thing about air filters (and filters in general), There are only 2 practical ways to increase airflow:

1) Increase surface area that air is flowing through. IE replace a 2x14" filter with a 3x14" filter or a small panel filter with a Cone filter.
    Imagine a colander with water flowing through the holes. Each hole flows x- CFM. By increasing the size of the colander, you get more holes each flowing x-additional CFM
    [​IMG]

2) Increase the size of the "ports" in the filter; letting larger contaminants through.
    Imagine a colander again - hole size Y flows X-CRM. By increasing the size of the hole, you flow more CFM.

These are really the only two levers you have to pull on.

The K&N style filters quite simply flow more CFM because they let larger stuff through the filtration process. Does this matter I dunno. The bigger the dust particle, the more chance it has to hurt things.

Now one could argue that a wet filter may last longer before it clogs up, but that's not really a huge concern on a street car. For offroad guys where filters get clogged quickly, there's a lot to be said for being able to pull the filter and spray it with water. The K&N style filters are also quite a bit stronger than paper, so it's less likely the filter will come apart and get sucked into the air intake. Again, not really a concern on a street car

5. badazz81z28

^ what do you consider serious performance and what filters are they using?

6. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Most of the guys/gals I know now use dry filters, foam or just plain old paper.
    There's a few companies that offer dry filters that look very similar to the K&N oiled design (AEM, Cosworth, Donaldson); hard to tell apart at a glance. Lots of racers use ITG Filters, which are foam (and spendy)

7. badazz81z28

Thanks for the links,I might buy one of the AEMs just to check it out. Too bad they only come in red.

8. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I use a K&N CAI on my 02 Toyota Tacoma and also using a K&N Filter Sock over the filter .I lightly fog the filter oil into the pleats of the filter and no issues , I also have a spare K&N Filter oiled and ready to use . I change out the filter and clean the MAF at every oil change which is every 5k miles

Here's my K&N filter I just changed yesterday

This is the new K&N Filter installed with the K&N filter sock

0316181601_HDR.jpg

The old filter has 5k miles on it and I had the filter sock on it and as you can see only the chrome lid of the filter was dusty

0316181602.jpg

Here's the inside of the filter and no dust or debris inside ,also the inside of the CAI tube was clean and no dust and silt inside

0316181602_HDR.jpg

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  9. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I started running the Filter Sock after I found out how well they keep the dust out of the engines of a sprint car or SCORE TROPHY truck

Those Race engines are about $50-$70k and those filter socks and k&n filters are protecting them

10. Goat

Goat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I ordered an AFE-21-40505 last night - dry and washable.

I'll be posting up my oily one in the for sale section for cheap...

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    Turbo70Camaro likes this.