Dry or Wet filter element?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Goat, Mar 18, 2018.

1. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

The one thing that does constrain the factory engineers is cost. What they engineer is the best compromise between quality, performance and cost. If you throw out the cost factor, many better options can sometimes be found. But it is tricky. Without their test facilities most times it is just a guess or depending on the aftermarket engineers and believing what they say. I never really went for what the K&N guys sold. My former job was as a engineer with Fram for oil filter and air filter media and manufacturing systems. Air filters are really pretty simple. Surface area, pore size and depth are the main factors involved. Oil adds a bit of "stick" but can also foul things up if overdone. Not to mention that cleaning one is rarely done well. Electrostatics are better way, but are for now best suited to stationary applications.

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

So let’s think about this....a properly maintained Ken and Norm filter....has anyone ever seen damage, issue done to an engine?

I agree the dry filter is a low maintenance worry free filter, but is the concern valid? I know not all of us are searching for every HP and losing 10 due to a filter could be the end of world.

3. largestar

largestar Member

Eh, I guess either replace your dry paper filter every so often or buy a reusable wet cotton filter. The small amount of dust a cotton let’s through, if any, wouldn’t destroy anything in a lifetime of use.

70lt1z28 and muscl car like this.
  4. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

That's the other thing. Are any of us building these cars to go a half million miles? How many even plan on 100k? Trade off between flow and filtration.

5. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  6. badazz81z28

At my pace....I might hit 50k miles in the next 30 years...

7. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm willing to bet that sock undo's any of the flow benefits you would get from the K&N. Filtration system only flows as well as it's most restrictive components.

RE: has a wet filter ever caused a problem.
    Due to increased particle size intrusion, not that I'm aware of. But that would be a cumulative effect over time.

Due to oil coating MAF sensors and other components ; absolutely. Wet filters are death in Subaru's and Mitsubishi's, I've heard bad stuff in LS Corvette's as well. I've the sludge those leak on throttle bodies and intake manifolds first-hand many times.

Another way to look at this: I've never seen a wet filter from the factory on a Ferrari; on the $200K+ Exotic cars, cost isn't a factor to make power. The Ferrari F136 engine (from the 458)is the most advanced naturally aspirated street engine ever produced. It's 275 CID, makes 562 [email protected] RPM, passes smog, runs on pump gas, and has a warranty. They use a paper filter. If Ferrari thought they could find another 5HP from a wet filter, they would be using it.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  8. badazz81z28

You have to consider what's practical for the consumer as well....if I had a $500K Lambo or Ferrari, I wouldn't be in the garage cleaning and oiling a filter either. Its easy to pull one out, toss it, and buy a new one....5 min. Even though I'm certain a OEM filter is probably $100. FWIW....K&N does make drop in filters for those cars....They must sell or they wouldn't make them

muscl car likes this.
  9. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Here's flow test results from using a Outerwear pre filter

https://www.outerwears.com/proddetail.asp?prod=8385

10. badazz81z28