Dry sump set up for my LS3 swap

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Gasoholic, Apr 10, 2020.

1. 71RS/SS396

71RS/SS396 Veteran Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2020
  2. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

The Tilden looks a little nicer I think.

Thanks for the links

3. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I know nothing about Champ one way of the other. But I’ve seen the Tilden first hand and can speak to the quality.

4. dave@ztech

[email protected] Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I was watching a video, will see if I can find it, anyway the guy is a driftcar guy and oil control is very important, espically because they also use LS based engines that have a couple of oiling problems, and he uses the dry sump and another type of system on another car called accusump ?? found the video just skip around till you find the part where he goes over each system

Gasoholic likes this.
  5. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

Cool video.
    Looks like he's using the 3 stage system. Looking at the clearance between the pump and motor mount I'm not sure a 5 stage would fit in that configuration.

6. dave@ztech

[email protected] Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It's the part about the accusump, that has the longish tank mounted in the rear, that pumps in oil when needed, that system is maybe 800 dollars and looks like lots of people use it, no one is saying it is as good as a true dry sump, however, they all argee , it works and is less money out of pocket, that is the system I would look at , while saving my nickles and dimes for a really nice dry sump system, we just need a few more players in that market, and then the price will go down, HAA HAA

7. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Accusump is a great safety measure for race engines. When oil pressure drops, it dumps extra oil into the system. When the pressure goes back up, it gets pushed back into the sump.
    https://www.cantonracingproducts.com/accusump
    They've been a standard for road racers since before I was born.
    I did have a very smart mechanical engineer tell me he'd done the math and their pre-oiling (prior to starting the engine) claims were impossible due to pressure constraints.

8. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

Some good links here, thanks!

Once I get the frt end back together I'm going to do some experimenting with positioning the motor and see how much clearance I got.