Dual alternator

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by Dennis Wilkie, Oct 10, 2020.

1. Dennis Wilkie

Dennis Wilkie Veteran Member

Yeah, that would be a great idea if I had $600 to blow

2. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Where in a Camaro do you plan on putting that sub woofer? that thing looks as big as a spare tire , HAA HA, and I would check the amperage for that amp, as what is rated is not what it usually puts out, however you are looking to have to upgrade to 2 batteries, and a big alt and a lot of fuses and 0 gauge wire

3. Dennis Wilkie

It's an L98 swapped Extended Cab K1500, lol...and i've already seen the amp on a dyno and it runs at 1 ohm stable 3000 rms not peak power. The guy who ran the dyno had 8x1400w batteries strapped and could barely hold it to 13.8v. I already planned on doing the "big 3" upgrades with 1/0 gauge wire, and got a 140 amp alternator a couple of days ago that I still haven't put in yet. I'll probably need a 5 farad capacitor along with a 200 amp in-line fuse

4. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

You don't get to build a competition level sound system and then complain about costs lol

5. Dennis Wilkie

Oh, i've never competed. I've had alot of different sub setups and tried alot of different brands over the years, and I wanna make sure this is the last time. When I was younger, I never cared about rms or matched any power ratings. I'm just covering all the bases to make sure everything is right, and i'm not gonna ruin anything, especially under the hood. I've got so many hours (and dollars) under my hood, i'd rather fry the entire stereo system than have to turn another wrench at this point

6. Madcow63

Madcow63 Member

Have you considered a generator in the trunk?

7. hd_cat

hd_cat Member

I recently discovered ICT Brackets, they appear to be well-made and are affordable. I bought them from Summit Racing, I have them on our '73 Camaro and have bought a second set to install on our '79 Z/28. There may be a configuration that would allow dual alternators. I chose the mid-mount alternator in which the alternator is inverted and the long bolt goes through the bracket and into the cylinder head. The power steering is mounted to the front of the block and water pump, it does not use a header or exhaust manifold bolt as with many others. I have attached a photo of the partial assembly to highlight the design. IMG_2045.jpg

8. 80NastyZ

80NastyZ Veteran Member

Small block

DSC00421.JPG

Big block

DSC00241.JPG

Both setups use CS-130 alternators , 1 straight plate and 1 offset plate , both setups run dual batteries .

Small block setup uses late 80's / Early 90's steel truck accessory brackets

Big block uses 88-93 truck accessory brackets

HTH

TOM

dave@ztech likes this.
  9. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

10. Dennis Wilkie

Maybe, but this is 3000 rms. I just ran 2 MTX 12" subs for about 3 days before I sent them back. They don't produce anywhere near advertised. But i've seen the dyno's of these Taramps products, and they're ridiculous. More than 2x the power I need to push this Skar EVL-18 with 1250 rms handling capability