Dual Diaphragm Brake Boosters

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by CDesperado, Jan 23, 2013.

1. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I am upgrading to 4-wheel disk brakes - after talking with Wilwood, they recommended an 8" or 9" dual diaphragm brake booster. I am leaning towards a 9" booster, but both sizes are presenting a challenge that I didn't expect.

Silly me... I thought this would be more standardized. I *think* I need a booster with the "short threaded rod" and not the KZ rod or longer rod, but I am not really sure.
    Can anyone comment on that?

I have searched this site extensively and found several threads, but very few posts identify a specific part number. At this point, I have identified the following parts that I believe are correct (short-threaded rod):
    1. DSE set up. Unfortunately, I don't like the "snap on" lid for the MC on this particular item.
    2. Tuff Stuff 2229A
    3. MBM PB9515

The second problem is this:
    All of the DD Brake Boosters I am seeing have threaded nuts coming off the back of them. I am assuming I will need to make (or buy?) a bracket that attaches to the rear of the booster and connects to the four bolts coming off the stock brake assembly.
    Is this correct?

So my question is this:
    1. Is the brake assembly different for a car with stock disc brakes vs a car that originally had drums in the back (like mine did.) [ie, the four bolts currently on the brake assembly weren't on a car like the Trans Ams that had disc brakes?]
    2. Are people grinding off the threaded screws on the stock brake assembly and pushing the boosters screws back through the firewall?
    3. .....Or..... is there an "intermediate bracket" that the booster is attaching to from one end and the the stock brake assembly bolts are attaching to from the other?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Note the small zinc bracket hanging off the back of the DSE Booster. You can also see the four threaded bolts on the DSE. However, these appears to be a lot shorter than the ones on the boosters above.
    [​IMG]

I have heard that a Dual Diaphragm Booster from a 79-81 Trans Am is a direct fit, but havent been able to find a picture yet to clarify this mounting issue.

2. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Just to add to this... I did reach out to Tuff Stuff to ask about some brackets that they sell. The brackets say they are for 67-72 GM... but Im not sure why they wouldnt fit a 78 yet.

Edit. They responded. (I am using a Wilwood Master Cylinder, but wanted to include their full response.)

Hello Jason.
    I show the 78 Camaro takes an angled bracket, part number 4650A that retails for $27.69 plus shipping from us.
    * The 9 inch dual chrome booster might work if you do not have tall valve covers.
    * I show an 11 inch single booster as stock for that year and model.

If you are running 4 wheel disk brakes, the 1 1/8 inch bore master cylinder will work fine. Part#2071NA chrome. Retail is $162.05 for either unit.
    If you have front disk/rear drums, I’d recommend our 1 inch bore master cylinder with your booster. Part# 2018NA chrome.

We have Competition Sales in Houston as a Tuff Stuff distributor near you.

Thank you for your inquiry.
    Regards,

Bud
    Tuff Stuff Performance Accessories, Ltd.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  3. fast73z28

fast73z28 New Member

4. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

This is what I used.
    I didn't have these problems, mine bolted right onto the firewall just like the OE 11" single did.

IIRC it was an A1 Cardone part off Rock Auto for ~$100.

5. ks71z28

ks71z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Unless engine clearance is an issue, running a 11" sigle booster works the best. Big cams make dual boosters funny, and they tend to overboost the brake system. New boosters are cheap we have a few to choose from

6. Skip Fix

Skip Fix Veteran Member

I've had great luck with my TA dual diaphragm booster even on low vacuum cams. Just remember the 79-80 used a cast iron MC with a smaller register than the 81 aluminum quick take up MC.

7. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

+1 to skip. You can use either as long as you pick which master you want to use and match it to the right year booster. The aluminum 81 master won't rust and saves a few ounces!

8. david.carlton@s

david.carlton@s Veteran Member

The DSE dual booster that I bought for my '73 has a different reservoir with a screw on cap. They may have changed though since the booster mounts at such an up angle.