Dual mufflers or transverse? pros & cons?

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by bondora68, Sep 18, 2020.

1. bondora68

bondora68 Veteran Member

I ordered a true dual exhaust system (2.5") with 2 mufflers from Summit Racing and I am contemplating exchanging it for a transverse muffler setup. What are the pros and cons for each? I removed straight pipes from this 71 Camaro I recently got, with a 350 & auto trans, so I definitely want it quieter. Will I be disappointed with the dual muffler system?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-680101/year/1971/make/chevrolet/model/camaro

2. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

I got the pypes cross flow 2.5 and like it. Excellent ground clerance, not crazy loud , gets loud when get on it.

3. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

4. dave@ztech

[email protected] Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The transverse tucks up nice, and sounds fine , nothing hanging down, and usually less, unless you go with a Joey Grey type replacement , I like that the muffler doesn't heat up the floor board, and puts some heat in the trunk to steam away any water, HAA HA
    https://joeysmusclecars.com/product/exhaust-system-complete/

5. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

A lot depends on what "sound" you want .I run a set of Flowmaster three chamber mufflers with a custom 2 1/4 exhaust with original tail pipes with no issues .And my car sets pretty low.

6. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

Running a transverse dual in/out Flowmaster on mine. Went this route for no other reason than extra ground clearance. It sounds good and I get a lot of compliments...but I'm thinking of having it swapped to a Dynomax Ultraflow transverse muffler to be even MORE different. I know it flows way better than the Flowmaster transverse piece.

[email protected] and biendog like this.
  7. Z28zz383

Z28zz383 Veteran Member

Got the pypes X Pipe 2.5'' transverse system and dougs mid length headers and really like it. Gets a lot of compliments. Got tired of long tubes and muffs under the floor boards. This pypes system is real slick with max clearance.

8. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

I've run the transverse muffler in mine since I got it way back when. But I wonder about all that heat inches away from the gas tank and differential. If a dual muffler set up could be tucked up with good clearance I'd probably go with that. But most of what I've seen does hang pretty low.

9. roadrace2

roadrace2 Veteran Member

Ive ran both systems.

The transverse muffler tucks up nice, you dont see any mufflers under the car, ground clearance is
    accomplished. The draw back is the clearance between the gas tank and the rear axle inspection cover. I tucked in my electric fuel pump behind my gas tank so I had to go back to the dual muffler system.

Running pypes plumbing with mangaflow mufflers/long tube headders.

Hope this helps.

10. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Just put a pair of Hooker Arrow chamber mufflers on my street car. sound pretty good and no droaning noise in the car either.