Dual mufflers or transverse? pros & cons?

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by bondora68, Sep 18, 2020.

1. bondora68

bondora68 Veteran Member

Thanks for all the replies..

2. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

A good exhaust man can tuck a true dual exhaust system quite nicely. We put a true dual system with Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers on our Camaro back in 2002.

I had them run the tailpipes out right behind the rear tires, which looks better imho.

I can post photos when I get home...

bondora68 likes this.
  3. James D Schultz

James D Schultz New Member

I recently changed to a Pipes 3" exhaust from the original factory 2.25" on my 72 Z/28 exiting behind the rear wheels. Have plenty of ground clearance and the extra 3/4" really woke up the HP. I would however recommend having a respected muffler shop do the installation to do any slight modifications if needed. Not always an exact fit.

4. Bills69

Bills69 Veteran Member

I used the transverse Thrush 89021 exhaust kit installed myself great sound not too loud and not expensive
    got free delivered to my door with 20% discount from Advanced Auto everything included to install but the hangers for the muffler itself if not still on the car

bondora68 likes this.
  5. MP81

MP81 Veteran Member

I always imagined it was for ground clearance, but honestly, my buddy and I got my Pypes 2.5" system (dual with X-pipe - Summit longtubes) tucked up really nice:

[​IMG]

bondora68 likes this.
  6. Roadtrip

Roadtrip Member

I did true duels in my 79 with Flowmaster chambered and high flow cats. The problem I found is that the cats placed at the trans cross member couldn't be tucked up out of site. The mufflers are tucked up nice and tight under the back seat. I'm planning to switch to the transverse and push the cats back under the back seat. That should get everything up and out of site.

OBTW, I loved the sound of the true duels with the CompCam Extreme Energy CL12-242 and Hedman Shorty headers. My wife not so much. She said it sounded like a 747 pulling into the driveway :)

bondora68 likes this.
  7. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Camaro DSC_2061.jpg

Camaro DSC_2067.jpg

This really doesn't show the mufflers, but you can tell there really isn't anything hanging low under the back seats and it does show my stainless tailpipes exiting behind the rear wheels.

8. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Love that color Champ , what is it?

9. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Thanks, Dave!

PPG Radiance II (a 3 stage paint) - Romanesque Crimson Pearl over Brickyard Red. The shadowed in checkered flag graphics from the fender vents, across the door and ending over the rear wheel well were a custom mix.

Depending on how the light hits the paint - you either see them or you don't - in the top photo you don't see them and in the bottom photo you do. It's fun watching at a car show when someone notices...;)

dave@ztech and 70-camaro like this.
  10. bondora68

bondora68 Veteran Member

Just damn beautiful!