Dual mufflers or transverse? pros & cons?

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by bondora68, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Great pics Sanders, and really clean looking as well. Thanks for posting them up. I also have been kicking the idea around on a transverse muffler system.

2. Roadtrip

Roadtrip Member

My plan is to use the Thrush Turbo 17654 transverse muffle which puts the H-Pipe in the muffler. I read somewhere that the 89021 kit can be ordered with the 17654 muffler and no H-Pipe.

3. Sanders Speed

Sanders Speed Member

4. Roadtrip

Roadtrip Member

Is the muffler you have the Turbo or Welded? The Welded is straight through and the Turbo has an H Pipe internal design.

5. Sanders Speed

Sanders Speed Member

I don't think it's welded, it looked similar to the stock one. Look in the inlet hole and see the other inlet hole across from it. A short perforated pipe then open space then the other pipe. Hope that makes sense.

6. Sanders Speed

Sanders Speed Member

7. Roadtrip

Roadtrip Member

I would like something that has the quieter sound like original stock but better flow. The chambered designs have the flow but really hard to keep the cabin db level reasonable. Before I parked the 79 I was running 348hp out of my 305 and you could definitely hear it. I'll be putting a smaller cam in it and dropping to about 304hp. I still want to hear it, but just a bit less of a ear buster ;)

8. Roadtrip

Roadtrip Member

According to Thrush the 89201 does use the 17654 muffler. My question is, since the 17654 muffler uses H-Pipe style internally why would you put an H-Pipe in the intermediate pipes and end up with 2 H-Pipes?

9. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The purpose of an H or X pipe up front is to help with the exhaust savaging effect.

Sanders Speed likes this.
  10. Roadtrip

Roadtrip Member

Doesn't a single H or X Pipe anywhere in the system accomplish the same effect? Isn't the rate of flow the same throughout the system no matter where the H/X Pipe is located? I understand that the heat level may diminish the further back you go, but not the flow.