Dual mufflers or transverse? pros & cons?

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by bondora68, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

While this may be true, it is encouraged to put the H/X pipe as close to the collectors as possible for better results/effect. I am no expert, but researched it a couple of years back when I made an X-pipe for my Camaro. Perhaps someone with a bit more knowledge can chime in and set us both straight.:lush:

2. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I think Engine Masters did a video on the difference between strait and x and H

3. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

A test was done on engine masters, they are almost identical in hp gains with x pipe at a ultra tiny extra. Exhaust tone is the difference in two, h pipe more choppy, x pipe more racy. I got the x now and would rather have the h pipe as it sounds better at idle. A extra x pipe in muffler won’t hurt flow.

4. Roadtrip

Roadtrip Member

If there's an H Pipe in the muffler and the intermediate H Pipe is more cost than straight pipes, why put in 2? I haven't been able to find any info showing a difference related to distance from headers for the H Pipe.

5. Sanders Speed

Sanders Speed Member

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    BillyDean7173 likes this.
  6. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You only need to Google it.

pipes.jpg

7. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Spirit In Black

Exactly. Well stated.

8. Roadtrip

Roadtrip Member

I've seen that article and others like it that generally conclude "Moving it around can shift the torque peak slightly, but not enough to make a real-world difference.". Since I'm not going to put my 79 in the Daytona 500 :crazy: I'm just wondering out loud if the extra cost of the intermediate X/H Pipe is worth it. Restoring our cars is expensive enough, $20 here and $15 there adds up. An H Pipe designed into the transverse muffler seems like a good compromise to me. As long as the distance doesn't make it ineffective.

9. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

The crossover x or h helps share pipes and merge exhaust pulses. It’s a few hp difference on a 600hp motor in the dyno testing on engine masters. Every car being different and lower horses power with yours it would be more of a exhaust note change , the x pipe is smother sounding blends better

10. DesmoEd

DesmoEd Veteran Member

They do sound distinctly different. I have very similar sbc's in each of my cars, the vette has an X and the Camaro has an H pipe. Both are manual transmission so they idle pretty much the same at ~13.5 in vacuum. The X sounds busier, more modern raspy - the H is deeper and throatier.

I'm running Hedman 64105 ceramic long tubes with the Flowmaster 17149 system

Its plenty throaty and the system tucked up pretty nice and came with nice slash cut stainless tips

[​IMG]