Dumb question but... stock 1978 Z28 air filter sizes?

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by SadZ28, Mar 7, 2021.

Tags:
  1. SadZ28

SadZ28 New Member

Like the title states I've got some issues determining what kind of air filter I can fit in my Camaro. Currently there's some no name 14" round, 2" thick filter in a 1" sunken base (that somewhat interferes with the stock quadrajet if not aligned right). Anyway I don't know really how much room I got, and I wanna know if something like this would fit https://performanceimprovements.com/products/ED1223

Thanks for the help

2. br80z

br80z Veteran Member

With a stock height intake manifold you should be able to fit a 14*3 inch filter with a drop base. I haven't used that edelbrock air cleaner but the base looks just like the moroso air cleaner that I had and it fit well with a quadrajet

3. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm using an Edelbrock drop base cleaner, it has no identifying marks on the base. With a Holley carburetor, I used a 3" filter element. I've switched to a ProFlo 4 EFI with a shorter throttle body and now use a 3.5" filter. Just about any drop base cleaner I've seen, GM included, will only fit a certain way.

4. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Drive to the store and I’m sure they’ll let you try it on in the parking lot. One of their display engines may have one installed if I recall when the Oshawa store was open.

5. Wayngro

Wayngro New Member

That Edelbrock filter base will not fit your Q-jet carb.. Unless you put a spacer ring under it.

6. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Guess I should have mentioned that, I had to use a 1/4" spacer on mine. Cheap, and easy to figure out.

7. Wayngro

Wayngro New Member

Yeah, I tried that with the Q-jet I put on my car temporarily, the short one 3/8"(?) was too short and the taller one was too tall.