Dumb question - Which Coil Wire?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by EricsZ28, Jul 23, 2012.

1. EricsZ28

EricsZ28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Can somebody please show me a coil wire (Summit part #) that will connect my MSD blaster 2 coil to my pro billet distributor WITHOUT the little adapter between the coil and wire like I have now.

When I go to the local speed shop, they simply pull out this adapter and the coil wire I have... Are there no other options?

This is what I have now, and it really is a poor design that does not stay tight:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

Have you ever crimped your own plug wires?

3. EricsZ28

No. But I'm up for trying. Can I cut the end off that existing coil wire and crimp on the appropriate male boot? I've got some slack in that existing coil wire...

4. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

Yep, you sure can. It's mostly about not nicking the central conductor wire. Not sure what's inside yours, but if it's the typical carbon-impregnated plastic/fiberglass core you'll probably 'ef it up the first time, but not the second.

The idea is that everything that's insulation gets cut back leaving about 1/2" or so of the inner conductor sticking out all by it's lonesome. Fold the conductor back over the wire so it physically touches (and gets captured inside) the metal terminal end piece you're going to crimp over it. And leave no extra conductor length sticking out the backside of that terminal end crimp. No little pigtails sticking out the end.

I'd highly recommend you buy a real plug terminal crimping tool. Not that old Radio Shack stripper/crimper/cutter you have used since high school to fix regular wiring. I've done it with both the right tool and the wrong tool (successfully in both cases) but it's sure a ton easier with the right tool. Makes you look like a pro on the finished project. But the real secret is stripping off that insulation and leaving the inner conductor sticking out WITH NO DAMAGE TO IT. Not even a nick on the outer surface.

5. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois..... Far S.W. Subs, RT 66 Area

Where are you from.
    Guys like me have all the tools and spare parts to build a wire with any combo of fittings.
    Maybe someone else in your area has the tools & parts to do it properly???

6. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

Oh, and don't forget to install and push the new boot down the wire a little BEFORE you crimp the end on or you'll be doing it all over again. Wanna guess how I know this?

7. EricsZ28

Good thing I have a spare wire to practice with. I'm sure the practice wire will go fine and the "good" wire will get messed up :)

I'm still not sure exactly which end to buy for the coil wire though. I know I need a male end, but I can't figure out which one. Does anyone know? Thanks for the help, guys.

8. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

And why so close to the header and the heat coming off of it?

9. EricsZ28

That cell phone picture is very deceiving. There is actually a lot of room in there between the coil and the headers :)

10. HyPer

HyPer Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It's the heat rise off the headers that's more dangerous to your coils internals........heat increases resistance, which reduces the efficiency of the coil, making it output less voltage. Given my coils always get too hot to touch anyways, your's will just get hot quicker :p

I saw that pic though and yeah, you needa first just see if you can pull that boot off(carefully!!!) and if the metal contact can be pushed into the coil(with a little tweaking to the spread contacts), then a larger boot is in order. Also, if the current contacts will actually go in and fit snugly, you shouldn't even have to cut/crimp.

Give us an update of what you find out.....I had to do this when I swapped to the pertronix coil on my stocker, and the wire itself would fit into the coil, but the boot was too small internally, so I swapped to a larger boot I found on an old set of spark plug wires.