Dyno tuned 434 SBC 11:1 AFR 245 Solid Roller

ChopperScott

Dec 3, 2021
If it's an MSD distributor I would lock it in at 35° to see if it helps, the locked in deal sure made a difference for me.

I hear you. I'd like to try that with a 7AL-3. I'm currently running a 6AL. I launch it at 5300-5500 rpm. The distributor is fully advanced before 2500. It starts and idles beautifully.

Last edited:

ChopperScott

Dec 3, 2021
Atco launch.PNG

1980RS

Veteran Member
Jun 17, 2006
MN
I hear you. I'd like to try that with a 7AL-3. I'm currently running a 6AL. I launch it at 5300-5500 rpm. The distributor is fully advanced before 2500. It starts and idles beautifully.

I put my 7AL2 in my car a few years ago that I got for free from a passed on friend and at the time I put it in to test the 7AL but could not find anything wrong with the box. He told me his car was misfiring with it so he bought a 7AL3. After the switch over from my 6AL the car idled higher and was more responsive with the better box. I can spin my engine to 7400 without a miss, unless I get some bad plugs. You will like the new box.

G72Zed

Veteran Member
Sep 8, 2015
Canada
I drove over the scale at LVD at the end of the day. It was 3030#. I'm 230#.

I haven't used the Moroso slide rule, but it seems to be rear hp in this scenario.

It's going through the traps at 6800. It needs a few more rpm to reach 135. A slightly smaller diameter tire would bring the rpm up above 7200 through the traps.

I still need to dial in the suspension for a better launch to eliminate wheel spin. I'll try a minor adjustment to the 4-link to bring the instant center forward and down. I'm also considering 2" drop spindles on the front.

Well a combined weight of 3,260 lbs and 131 mph equates to 562hp on the old Moroso slide rule. Looks like rear wheel hp to me on this particular combo.

If it would be flywheel, that would mean you lost over 100hp somewhere. But then again, the raw dyno # and correction factors need to be taken into account, and elevation as well.

Car looks like it's really dialed in and setup nice, I bet you have the same wrinkle counts on both rear tires as well LOL. very NICE ride man.!

G72Zed

Veteran Member
Sep 8, 2015
Canada
Ran the car at Atco yesterday with NETO at the Yesteryear drags. Essentially no changes for competition day. Car ran a best of 10.23 @ 131. Rpm's through the traps are about 6800. It'll be a few weeks before I get the car to the track again. Next time out, I'll run it with the Quick Fuel 950, and move the Instant center further forward and down. I'm also going to run it with a drop base air cleaner and the hood on.
The QFT 950 may flow the same as the Holley XP 850 you dyno'd with. As my first post mentioned, perhaps a Holley "750" XP may tell you a few things.

I think the hood will help you out as well.

ChopperScott

Dec 3, 2021
The QFT 950 may flow the same as the Holley XP 850 you dyno'd with. As my first post mentioned, perhaps a Holley "750" XP may tell you a few things.

I think the hood will help you out as well.

The Q-950 made a little less power than the 850 XP on the dyno. I do have a Q-750-AN that could speak to me.

G72Zed

Veteran Member
Sep 8, 2015
Canada
I would use a Holley "down leg" or stepped DL in a HP/UHP/XP model before the QFT Q-750 AN.

Sometimes "carbing" down on the dyno leeds you to believe it's inferior, especially with hg manifold tracking. Same as adding volume, it tells you it's "better" but the track says otherwise.

Your dyno sheet shows only .3 " of manifold vacuum during the pull with the 850. A 100 cfm step down might of not been a penalty, just the opposite of what you got when you went 100 cfm up in CFM. Just saying.

ChopperScott

Dec 3, 2021
Made a few adjustments to the car. Shimmed up the trans mount to raise the crankshaft centerline and reduce driveline operating angles. Adjusted pinion angle accordingly at 1.9° below crank centerline. Extended instant center forward and down to 57.5" on the anti-squat line. Adjusted rear coil-over installed height and springs for a 1" lower rear ride height. A set of 2" drop spindles from Chassisworks up front. And new rotors and pads from Mark Williams in the rear.

I’ll be heading to Island Dragway for test and tune on Saturday, and competition on Sunday with NETO at the Nostalgia Nationals. I’m going to run the Quick Fuel 950 carb, tuned on the engine dyno, with a drop base air filter and the hood on this weekend.

Z Dropped.JPG

Latest posts