Easy Homemade Wine.

Discussion in 'Bon Appetite - NastyZ Style' started by jeff swisher, Aug 29, 2018.

1. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

I have been making wine since I was 15. yea I burried a jar of mashed over ripe grapes with some sugar and 3 months later dug it up.
    Instant wine.

Today I have gathered many wild fruits and have used store juices and made wine.
    Wife usually did not like it because it was very strong like Fruit flavored Vodka.
    Went down hot and took very little to give you a buzz.

I eventually got a hydrometer so I could check alcohol content $12.
    My store juice made wine which was milder was coming in at 12.5% alcohol.

I made some from wild sand plums and wild pears. I call them wild as they are in a field and no one bothers the trees or waters them except cows.
    Blueberries , grapes, watermellon, peach. I have used all that to make wine.
    Even Bananas.
    The Banana wine tasted like those banana shaped hard candies you get for a quarter from those machines.

Now the recipe that the wife drinks and is easy.
    3 quarts of Aldi (Natures Nectar brand) or Welches brand grape juice.
    I pour 2 quarts into a cleaned sanitized gallon jug and 1 quart on the stove in a pot and bring it to 90-100 degrees while stirring in 2 cups of white sugar.

Sugar dissolved... then pour it into the gallon jug with the cooler grape juice.
    Now wipe any juice from the mouth and neck of the jug with a paper towel.
    Take 1/2 teaspoon Fleischmanns yeast the regular NOT fast acting and pour it right on top of the juice in the jug.
    Put a balloon over jug or a bubbler.
    I have used bubblers for a while now but the balloon works fine.
    I do let the air out of the balloon slowly every few days but not all the air out.

About 21 days later you can rack it to another jug.
    I was like what is racking..I had no idea.
    Siphon the liquid from one jug to another.
    I place one jug up high on window seal With fermented juice. One down low in the sink that is empty.
    I use a small tube the kind that hooks behind your fridge to the ice maker.
    Reason I use that small diameter line is I do not want fast fluid flow as it can suck up the junk on the bottom of the bottle.

That stuff is bitter.
    Stay off the bottom when siphoning .. about 1/2" or more.
    I stay in the middle of the jug until the level gets low.

You can rack it again in another few days.. or drink it now.
    That drink it now usually gives me 11.5% alcohol after 21 days.
    More time sitting and a couple more rackings and it changes to cleaner flavor but more time sitting it seems to be more potent.

Enjoy!
    Yes I tried real wine yeasts. My 1/2 teaspoon Fleischmanns is just fine in my book.
    In fact one type of wine yeast is the same that is Fleischmanns.

Concord grape or the dark colored grape juice is what I have been using.

Smokey15 likes this.
  2. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

My Dad made wine from Blueberry Puree. It was from the Sealtest Ice cream plant. They were going to chuck it B/C it was from a test run to see if people would buy that flavor. He got like 20 5 gal containers. He kept them frozen in this huge freezer in the basement. We made all kind of stuff with it. The wine making turned in to a huge process. He made hundreds of bottles. Had labels made up and gave it to his friends. I remember one time during the summer when it got really hot some bottles exploded in our pantry. My mom had a fit. It was every where. Then the ants came. Good times. He Hard boiled about 5 dozen eggs peeled them then rinsed the shells. put them in a container. Filled the container with the Blueberry wine and let it sit for a day or so. The shells absorbed the dark color and made the wine the color of rose' wine. I thought he was loosing it. The funny thing is it did not change the taste and his friends thought he was a Genius. We used to swipe a couple bottles and get plowed with some friends. I was really surprised at how good it was. We used to make our own root beer too. If you leave it set too long it also becomes alcohol too. I remember some of my friends sneaking in the basement to get it. I still have some of his gear to make wine. I think I will try to make some in the future. The Hydrometer busted though. I have to get a new one. My dear old Dad did some crazy stuff. It was like a science lab in our kitchen. I know my Mom was not happy but I guess we were. I learned a few things and had fun as well.

Smokey15 likes this.
  3. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

WOW egg shells to absorb the color.. Never heard of that. Your dad was a thinker for sure.
    Great story.

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I tried winemaking a few years ago. The first time I used apple cider that I pressed from some of my apples. It made a hard cider that tasted like wine. Then, I tried using juice from local plums. It tasted like plum wine. Then, I remembered that I don't like wine so no matter what flavor wine I made, it still tasted like wine.
    Now I press the apples, pasteurize the cider, and freeze it so it can't ferment. Then, I enjoy it as sweet cider.

jeff swisher likes this.
  5. Its_not_a_transam

Its_not_a_transam Veteran Member

Been making this since I was a kid

jeff swisher likes this.
  6. rayshow

rayshow New Member

thanks for the recipes