Ebay fee's

NOT A TA

Veteran Member
Feb 12, 2009
Delray Beach Florida
I'm a regular seller on Ebay with daily sales. Top rated seller, 100% positive feedback in the thousands yadda yadda.

Recent issues

1. When forced to switch to their payment service instead of Paypal the bank account was hacked almost immediately. I went to check the first day proceeds from sales were supposed to be deposited and my password for the bank online service had been changed. Contacted the bank, took a couple weeks to straighten out. Ebays fault? Who knows?

2. Was charged different fees (one day apart) for two different sales of the same type of item that had the same product cost and shipping fees so the total of both transactions was the same. Questioned why? no reply.

3. Ebay's software occasionally randomly gives buyers a shipping discount when purchasing more than one item, without my authorization. In one extreme case the shipping charged was only for one item with the second item given free shipping. Due to the high cost of shipping relative to the price of the items it meant that after fees I made no money on the transaction, no longer had the products, and gave away my time listing, packing, etc. Contacted them and after a lengthy "chat" with them checking on the transaction for 10 minutes at a time said they'd forward the chat to the shipping dept and sort of "hung up" on me and ended the chat.

72BIGBLOCK

Veteran Member
Feb 2, 2008
SF
I’ve used offer up a few times and it’s free but you get some stupid people on offer up.
For example I posted some wheels for 900 and was offered 400
or when I posted my old iPhone for sale and some moron messaged me asking where I got it ? I just blocked him

younda

Veteran Member
Jun 26, 2015
MA USA
exactly!

but people need to be smart enough to know how to do that ;)

Sure if you want to keep the balance low. It doesn’t help you against over charges or other disputes. It’s like giving an ATM card to them. That’s fine if you trust them. Working through a credit card has always worked for me because at dispute time the cc company has had my back every time.

badazz81z28

Veteran Member
May 4, 2001
Alabama
Ebay also just cut sellers off from using Paypal to pay the fees. It is now mandatory to use something called managed payments. Now in order to sell, you have to give them your bank account so they can pull the fees from there. I guess this helps their bottom line by saving them the 3.5% paypal fees. I never gave my bank account info to Paypal and certainly won't be giving that to ebay either. I don't even have facebook. I rarely sell anything on ebay anyway, but now anything I have will be going to craigslist.

I'm sure the bank account thing was used to curtail Ebay scammers. Its too easy to set up a paypal account and close it...with a bank account on file, a little more legitimate. PP has had my "Camaro" money bank account for years....No issues. From my understanding, Ebay owns Paypal...and a recent change was sellers didn't have to pay PP fees when selling on Ebay which is a good thing....I agree that you can't have your cake and eat it too. Ebay is surely the place to get top dollar for something. You try to sell something on CL or FB and everyone either wants it for free, tire kickers or crickets...depending on what you are selling, the fees are worth it. All the prices on Ebay are outrageous! With intent I'm sure to cover the anticipated fees.

Sellers tip....when selling something expensive, add in the fees AND mark up the shipping cost! I just looked at the VF3 bumpers....Should have asked more than $1000 and $67 for shipping...That is WAAAY LOW!! I have seen single NOS bumpers sell on EBay for $600 and its easily $80-$100 to ship a single bumper! As for slow funds....that's the buyer....He likly used a E-check or a credit card which takes time to process versus immediate transfer with PP funds or bank account. DO NOT ship until funds clear!

One thing I do agree with is the sales tax!! Having to pay sales tax on a used item in which taxes were already paid when the items were originally purchased is ridiculous. Sales tax should ONLY apply to new/original items...NOT used items sold by non business entities. That's like having to pay sales tax on your yard sale sells!

Last edited:

badazz81z28

Veteran Member
May 4, 2001
Alabama
Just want to inform anyone thinking off selling on eBay. I just sold 2 bumpers for a total cost with shipping for 1064.00. Ebay charged me 143.34 for this transaction. That nearly 14% in fees. Just wanted to inform all members of this inceritable increase.

Don't ship them...cancel the transaction and say the bumpers were damaged or something...refund the money and try to sell them somewhere else.

Patstuff28

Veteran Member
Aug 23, 2020
I'm sure the bank account thing was used to curtail Ebay scammers. Its too easy to set up a paypal account and close it...with a bank account on file, a little more legitimate. PP has had my "Camaro" money bank account for years....No issues. From my understanding, Ebay owns Paypal...and a recent change was sellers didn't have to pay PP fees when selling on Ebay which is a good thing....I agree that you can't have your cake and eat it too. Ebay is surely the place to get top dollar for something. You try to sell something on CL or FB and everyone either wants it for free, tire kickers or crickets...depending on what you are selling, the fees are worth it. All the prices on Ebay are outrageous! With intent I'm sure to cover the anticipated fees.

Sellers tip....when selling something expensive, add in the fees AND mark up the shipping cost! I just looked at the VF3 bumpers....Should have asked more than $1000 and $67 for shipping...That is WAAAY LOW!! I have seen single NOS bumpers sell on EBay for $600 and its easily $80-$100 to ship a single bumper! As for slow funds....that's the buyer....He likly used a E-check or a credit card which takes time to process versus immediate transfer with PP funds or bank account. DO NOT ship until funds clear!

One thing I do agree with is the sales tax!! Having to pay sales tax on a used item in which taxes were already paid when the items were originally purchased is ridiculous. Sales tax should ONLY apply to new/original items...NOT used items sold by non business entities. That's like having to pay sales tax on your yard sale sells!
Yeah, I wish that the no sales tax plan worked for used vehicles too.