Ebay fee's

Discussion in 'Auctions and Online Sales' started by stafs05, Jun 10, 2021.

1. AnyUser

AnyUser New Member

We sell on eBay all the time. Fees have actually dropped a tiny amount since they’ve taken over with “managed payments”. Previously it was eBay 10% plus PayPal 3% + 30¢. Worked out to 13+%. Now it’s about 12%. Like other comments selling consistently costs. Brick and mortar stores consider 30% overhead a cost of doing business. 12-13% isn’t out of range if your constantly selling. One off, sure CL or marketplace is ok. But getting your product in front of millions of eyes for 12-13% is a deal.

KingofThings and BillyDean7173 like this.
  2. 80WA7113

80WA7113 Veteran Member

I disagreed with ebay's forced managed payment policy from the get-go. When they tried to FORCE me into using their managed payment system, I cancelled my listings. Then they locked my account from being able to sell unless I give the my bank info. Well, that's never going to happen. I'll list here or sell locally for less if that's what it takes to put parts in the hands of those who can use them. I'm not greedy, I'm an enthusiast of the hobby, so it's all good with me.

If I recall from ebay's very early communication that "managed payments" was coming, I remember that they were going to use some off shore financial institution. Trust some out of country financial institution hired be ebay to have free access to my money? Yeah, right. There is no way I would EVER give anyone access to pull funds from my bank account at will. Especially some out of country unknown financial something or another.

younda, KingofThings and chuck13 like this.
  3. KingofThings

KingofThings Veteran Member

This is why I've been calling them eBidet for some time now.
    With the wish to find PEZ for their collection and becoming billionaires (I can't imagine not) as a result...apparently it's time to bend us over.

4. KingofThings

KingofThings Veteran Member

As far as I know they own Peepal so they're paying themselves.

5. Donscamaro72

Donscamaro72 New Member

I stopped selling there too. They are even sending you a 1099 form at the end of the year so you can pay uncle sam.

6. Buddy70z28

Buddy70z28 New Member

I had a item listed on ebay and they kept drafting $5.38 per month for listing fees and kept on doing it after the item sold? Try getting someone on the phone at ebay to help you with a problem! Nothing but online services and you never get an answer. Ebay tried to get me to give them my bank account and routing number in order to do business with them. Screw them I will take my stuff to the swap meet where people know what they are looking at and they know what it's worth and you only get cash.....

7. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

I dont use Ebay anymore. mostly just used craigslist, facebook marketplace, and forums. But I list things for what i want for them, if they dont sell, I just keep them. unless you have a ton of parts for sale, I dont see the benefit to use ebay. I dont shop ebay for parts, they are generally overpriced items. For camaro parts, there are several parts guys on the NastyZ28 facebook page, that pretty much have everything you could need. Pat, Mike, Shaun....

8. RS79

RS79 New Member

eBay is a necessary evil for me. For Camaro parts there are alternatives but they are some obscure things that you can only find on eBay. I don’t sell much on eBay but I do buy a lot of stuff on there. Like Amazon the prices are good, free shipping on a lot of things and you can return anything for most any reason.

I did get burned once big time on a sale. I had a very sought after Stereo Preamplifier that was in mint condition. Sold it for $800 with free shipping. Guy messages me after he receives it and claims it is not working properly and wants to return it. I am suspicious because it was working perfectly when I shipped it. I get it back and notice it had some blemishes that mine did not have and were obviously not from shipping. Tuned out the Guy had a blown up preamp that was the same make/model and swapped it for mine. As soon as eBay has confirmation that an item has been returned they issue a refund to the buyer. He could of sent me back a box of rocks that weighed the same and he would have been refunded. So I ended up with a junk preamp that resulted in an $800 dollar loss. That is why I rarely sell on eBay any more.

9. Popper

Popper Veteran Member

Agree! Ebay is sometimes a necessary evil however i only use them as a last resort. I have been burned before by Ebay 'policies'. I purchased something and what I rxd was not the item i purchased (wrong size sent to me). I went through the Ebay hoops and I was ultimately out $330. In addition this new 'waiting period for your funds is unacceptable. They are making a lot of money in interest by holding money - i see about 3-4 days before they release/process funds to your financial institution.

RS79 likes this.
  10. 70RamAirIII

70RamAirIII Pontiac-aholic

Here's my two cent's worth:

I like ebay;
    I have had an account there since 1999.

I used to sell stuff, and it was fun - I even liked paypal because I could easily deposit money into my account.
    But then ebay bought paypal, and the fun stopped.

For a while ebay was more or less requiring you to verify your PP account with bank account information, and at the time, I was hearing of PP more or less causing some users bank accounts to freeze, and in extreme examples, people getting into trouble with their mortgages because of the frozen account (on account of PP).
    Then that somehow subsided.

I sold some hotwheels on ebay this past year, and made good money off them... I thought the fees were over, then received another bill.
    I wasn't happy - it was for sure a triple dip on ebay's part;
    - listing fees (based on reserve amount iirc)
    - paypal fees
    - final transaction/selling fees

I saw the email from ebay alerting me of the change which requires sellers to link to their bank;
    I will never grant ebay/pp access to bank my account.

I will continue to buy there, just never sell there.

RS79 likes this.