Ebay fee's

Discussion in 'Auctions and Online Sales' started by stafs05, Jun 10, 2021.

1. 72SS9681

72SS9681 New Member

Still trying to figure out the new fee structure but I agree with "anyuser" that the fees are a little bit lower. Used to be you paid 10% + Paypal fee then you would get hit with final value fee's on the item and shipping. Fee's seem a little more transparent now although I hate there invoicing system. As far as the taxes go that's out of ebay's control, when congress passed the law on internet sales ebay sales fell into that category. It is true they will send you a 1099, but that only happens if you sell more than $20,000 in a calendar year or have over 200 sales. As already pointed out were else are you going to go to get a fair price for your parts?

The biggest mistake I see sellers make is to undercharge for shipping or offer free shipping especially on heavy items. Seems like a lot of people will automatically ship USPS even on heavy or large Items, or they go down to the local PO or UPS store and ship through them. If you ship you item through ebay all the major shippers offer deep discounts over the list rates. USPS is great for items under a pound but in most cases UPS and Fedex rates are much cheaper with discounts upwards of 30%. I'll list the item as standard shipping, and after the sale pick the cheapest shipper.

My biggest complaint with ebay is their "Money back guarantee". As a buyer its saved me from being screwed, but as a seller I doesn't matter what the reason is the buyer will get their money back. I sold an NOS in the box open element GM air cleaner a few years ago. Prior to the sale the buyer ask questions on the chrome and I provided a very accurate description plus additional pictures. Well long story short the guy (Corvette Guy). Waited a week then requested a refund because it didn't meet NCRS (nat. Corvette Restorers Standards) and that I misrepresented the part. ebay refunded his money and I ended up paying the shipping both way's. I know theres shady sellers out there and I appreciate the guarantee but they need to have an appeal process that helps protect the seller also.

RS79 and stafs05 like this.
  2. Richard454

Richard454 New Member

It's one thing for eBay to charge sales tax on used items....

It's another for eBay to use the sales tax as part of the final fee. So you are paying about 13% on the sales tax itself.

I sell a couple products I manufacture on eBay. Depending on what state I sell it to ( shipping is flat rate USPS- which is included in my price)- I receive different amounts- can swing up to $10 on each sale dependent on the state's sales tax..

I'll be interested to see how the 1099 is handled- am I going to have to pay income tax on some other state's sales tax?

Now- "processing" the money from eBay takes up to 5 days for me to finally get to my bank account.

It's total BS- but what other choices do I (we) have. Amazon? They get 15% and only pay every 2 weeks...

Unfortunately looks like they have figured out how to tax the internet.

3. DennisG

DennisG Member

Have a special bank account and credit card just for internet transactions. Keep a small balance in it and be sure that it is not linked to your other bank accounts.
    Check the balance before each use and add money after using it.

4. jsksystem

jsksystem New Member

FEE-BAY.

5. Tony P

Tony P Veteran Member

I quit EBay and now use Facebook and Venmo, no fees!!!

6. stafs05

stafs05 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

This what I wanted to express to fellow members. Ebay selling is completely changed. But, my dumb ass can't express myself when writing. So thank you for expressing it correctly.

7. kbillhartz

kbillhartz New Member

Got a muscle car sale pending on RacingJunk.com for $55,000. Ad costed me $39.95. Screw Fee-Bay!!!

younda likes this.
  8. Steve Assaiante

Steve Assaiante New Member

If people keep bitching and leave eBay maybe Then they will get the picture I don't even look at eBay anymore I use Facebook marketplace or craigslist I won't give eBay a dime of my money

9. 351maverick

351maverick full time Ebay seller/hustler/car killer

guys if you don't like Ebay then don't use it

there are a LOT of us that make VERY VERY good money selling on Ebay

RS79 and Knuckle Dragger like this.
  10. Rascal

Rascal Veteran Member

My .02,

I have been an eBay Member since Jan 2000. Had 100% rating, for 21 years; sold a $20 guitar pedal a few months back. Buyer stated item received doesn’t work, no problem, I offered 100% refund including shipping cost refund immediately. The Buyer was a psychopath, he sent multiple emails. e.g. “this was done on purpose”, “it could have been dropped in shipping, but it is still the sellers fault”. I kept informing the Buyer to return and I would refund 100% plus refund shipping.

Buyer refused to return the item!!! Buyer placed negative feedback on eBay, I opened case with eBay thinking common sense would prevail and this BS issue will be easily resolved to re-attain my 100% rating. HARDLY!!!

FleaBay actually backed the buyer!!!??? WTF, SMH???!!! Informed eBay I will never sell again on eBay… crickets…
    I am now a buyer only on eBay and if a product or item is available elsewhere I take my $$$ there, even if it is more expensive.

We all must realize eBay is part of the “Digital Tyrant’s Club”; Facebook, Amazon, Google, Microsoft, & the MSM. Yep, including phony Faux News & Newsquacks, they don’t fool me any longer. We are in the “tilted” world of the Riddler, the “pickled” world of the MONOPOLIES. Left, Independent, or Right we ALL will have no rights nor freedoms soon unless we all work together to BREAKUP and/or PURGE these monsters under our proverbial jack boots. Like the cockroach in the corner!!! Stomp, squish, & twist!!! I mean this all in a lawful, orderly action and behavior.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

CALL and/or EMAIL your Congressman/Congresswoman and Senators (yes even the ones we do not like).
    Do this often tell your friends and family to do the same. The squeaky wheel gets the oil!!!

Ask:
    1. What are you doing about the Facebook, Amazon, Netflix, Google (FANG), Apple, eBay, PayPal, Microsoft, MSM/Fox/Newsmax MONOPOLIES???
    2. When will you write or sponsor a bill to implement a law to breakup these dangerous monopolies???
    3. Please send me any information and/or status on this important issue.

Here are the links where you can easily lookup and contact your Representatives & Senators:

U.S. House of Representatives:
    https://www.house.gov/representatives/find-your-representative

U. S. Senate:
    https://www.senate.gov/senators/senators-contact.htm?OrderBy%3Dstate%26Sort%3DASC

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Quick read on what is percolating in congress about the "Big Tech Monsters" Monopoly Problem… Not my fav outlet, but it gets to the point… The article is a 3 minute read on what the problem is and movement toward resolution. This is a long road but it can be accomplished.
    https://www.usnews.com/news/busines...gness-congress-eyes-action-against-monopolies

At his point there is NO viable alternative to eBay and that is a real problem for the entire populous in this day and digital age!!!

-Rascal

RS79 likes this.