eBay seller issue... What would you do?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Twisted_Metal, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Happy_Dan

Happy_Dan Veteran Member

Too many of these to read but here is what I would do.

If I didn't want to pay the $65 in the first place then I wouldn't do that.
    I would make him an offer of what I would be willing to pay (where I would have quit the bidding) maybe something like $50.

I would make the extra $40 contingent on my receiving the item, that means he has to trust you.
    I believe in doing the right thing overall and not just taking advantage of others mistakes. Obviously he didn't want to sell it at $10 when he knows it's worth a lot more.

carhead22000, 351maverick and Rosster like this.
  2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Some people need to accept the facts of the current market and demand...I'm so sick of people thinking their parts are worth so much money and cry when they don't get it. The auction sat at $10....obviously it wasn't worth much to many folks or else the bids would have gone up. An auction is a "highest bidder" wins model.....he should technically sell it. What would he do if a buyer enter $10000 on accident....would you force the buyer to pay that if it was a mistake? Most would lol.....

Happy_Dan and gramps like this.
  3. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Wow, I wouldn’t hesitate to give him the worst feedback.

4. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Veteran Member

my thoughts exactly. And i will add, there is an inherent risk for both the seller and buyer on ebay, and a this is one of those mistakes the seller made, i feel as though the item was sold for $10. Seller had ample time to realize the mistake, and re-listing the item is now complete BS, saying the part was lost or broken or whatever.
    Ebay is turning me off lately. I see cars being listed and relisted all the time, after being "sold". i get that there should be recourse for a seller being dishonest, but at the same time buyers need to due diligence as well. Not sure if it was on this site or another, where someone quoted ebays policy with buying a car, which said basically you as a buyer were "bidding on the opportunity to buy the car". it sounds pretty far from binding, which one can really assume drives up the bid on cars, since its so easy for the buyer to back out.
    My boss wanted me to list some equipment on ebay, thinking that would get him more money than the no reserve, as-is, no questions asked auction we take stuff to. (which we normally do really well at) listing on Ebay would turn me into a salesman, and i can only imagine waste a crap load of my time, trying to sell something that people could bid on, win, but end up not coming through on, and then missing the auction that has a bigger audience for this type of stuff.

5. frank5s

frank5s Veteran Member

Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing. That is stated right on the auction above revisions, which shows
    the reserve price was revised. Contact EBAY, probably get nowhere. 59 items sold , he should know how to fill out auction page, plus he revised the auction several time.
    The air cleaner for $10 was a steal, with that said $65 is also an awesome price,
    I have looked for those before and usually around $200+

6. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

The Fact that he Re-Listed it means it was Not out of Stock. I'd Hammer him with Neg Feedback

7. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Terry, were you able to leave feedback? I had deal where the item was defective and the seller put me through hoops to make it right. HE eventually cancelled the sale and refunded but I was going to leave feedback to reflect the hassle but I found since it was cancelled I couldn't.

8. Camarolina

Camarolina Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

This thread is very revealing as to how some people think.

I've made mistakes in listing on eBay. Never something so stupid as to the price. The pricing is literally the most important part.
    Not long ago I had the wrong shipping info on a listing. I had to pay $10 more shipping that the buyer was charged.
    I didn't start crying. I ate it and shipped the item. Not the buyers fault.

Rosster likes this.
  9. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I stopped using eBay because of reviews of too many empty packages arrived at the buyer which is plain BS which happened to me once as a seller and the percentage eBay and PayPal takes on each selling price.
    I list my stuff on Kijiji here in Ontario Canada which has been successful for the past 11 yrs. I’ve tried Craigslist and it’s a no show here in Ontario.

10. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

The normal thing to do was contact Terry, he didn’t. Yup honest mistake but did seller own up? A simple email and all is well , Terry wanted to be reasonable. In the end move on, I’d contact EBay other than bashing him , he will get his bad seller rap. It makes eBay lame and I’ve started to sell just local on cl cause of stuff like this, or here it’s easier and cheaper