Ebay selling, bidding looks a little suspicious.

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by tom3, Sep 9, 2021.

1. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Couple of you guys deal on Ebay some, maybe you can tell me what's going on here?

(Mods, move if this is in violation?)

We've been downsizing a bit, selling some odds and ends to see how it works. I put a couple circuit boards on auction, kind of a rare item. Somebody bids on the first day, then bids again the next day, and yet again. Same guy. But the bid price stays the same. Maybe submitting an automatic bid, but the repeat bids don't make sense. is there a scam involved? I just about got scammed on a receiver that I listed, some screwy shipping outfit in Viet Nam got the bid. Google search on buyer scared me to death on that deal, cancelled sale quick. This is the listing, nothing to interest anyone here.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284442971279

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Multiple bids from the same buyer won't raise the bid price until someone else bids.

I sometimes put a starting bid on an item when I first see the listing just to have it in my list of "Items I'm Bidding On".
    (This will generate an email alert if I'm over-bid.)

After looking up the item in a collector catalog, seeing better pics on my computer screen or seeing what the same item has sold for recently... I may decide it was worth bidding a higher amount and enter a second bid. (Sometimes MUCH higher.)

But I don't think I've ever entered a third bid until someone else has made a bid.

Not unusual at all to see the same person make multiple bids well before the auction is over.

tom3 likes this.
  3. cali cruzer

cali cruzer Veteran Member

More than likely it's someone who doesn't know how the bidding works. They probably put 3 bids, each one higher than the next.

I always decide what my max I'd be willing to pay and enter that. It will only go up to the next bid incrementally until my max is reached. By then I figure it's more than I wanted to pay anyway.

4. 351maverick

351maverick full time Ebay seller/hustler/car killer

completely normal

Ebay bidding isn't real bidding...it's proxy bidding

no one wins an auction for the price they bid...they win the auction for the SECOND highest price

a guy could bid $10,000 on your circuit boards...but if the second highest bid is $50 then he would only pay $55 or so for the item

that bidder you describe is just increasing his maximum bid

5. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

it’s not really bidding, you enter the most you will pay and the system bids on your behalf. So paying $55 is technically the highest bid. Or else it might as well be a best offer

351maverick likes this.