Ebola in US (Texas)

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Earlsfat, Oct 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onovakind67

onovakind67 Veteran Member

Want to feel better about Ebola? This (massive) chart should do the trick.

Two people in America have contracted the Ebola virus, nurses tending Thomas Eric Duncan, who died of the disease earlier this month. The concern that those infections have aroused, however, has vastly outpaced the spread of the sickness within our borders.

We wanted to come up with a way to represent the true scale of Ebola in the United States. So we made the graphic below, which depicts over 310 million tiny icons of people, three of whom are colored red to represent Duncan and the two people he infected. Our challenge to you: find the three people. It might take a second to load, and you'll need to scroll. And fair warning: their location is randomized.

While you look, remember that you are one of the other little gray Americans. Fully healthy -- and, almost certainly, nowhere near the virus.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/files/2014/10/people_uninf.png

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2014
  2. Strange81Z

Strange81Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I don't know man.....I think bleeding out of your skin because your insides rot would be a pretty miserable way to go.... :screwup:

3. MotionClone

MotionClone Veteran Member

Back in the 70's, the scale of AIDS infections would have looked the same. So are you saying this will be a full blown world epidemic like aids?

Doesnt make me feel better about Ebola. I'm sure you set others mind at ease though.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  4. 70COPO

70COPO Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

The video of nurse Pham from Emory is instructive. Nurse is wearing a PAPR.

It is airborne. You do not wear a PAPR if it is not.

Any body here want to make a case against the fact that every nation that has controlled an outbreak has first...... secured travel (blocked travel) from infected countries?

5. MotionClone

6. Ztoy

Ztoy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Ebola is probably not going to become the next bubonic plague. It is dangerous, it can be deadly. The biggest thing about it being here in what some of you think is a 'epidemic proof' dome, is how this infection has shown the glaring deficiencies in our precious CDC and its 'procedures' as well as how well prepared our level 1 health facilities really are when it comes to protecting us from potential plague like diseases. We should be more concerned with that, probably moreso than our chances of becoming infected with ebola.

Think if some sort of highly contagious, highly deadly disease hit the US in the same manner ebola came here. Something manmade with no known cure, something they also had to create a serum for. Holy crap...

7. mgoad1971

mgoad1971 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

And have been for years.....

8. MotionClone

Only now there is an uncontained Ebola outbreak in those countries which is where US Ebola patient#1 came from.:screwup:

9. onovakind67

onovakind67 Veteran Member

Since the first case of AIDS was reported by the CDC on June 5, 1981, when five men in Los Angeles developed a rare lung infection, the chart for the 70's would be basically zero. Of course there was never any fear-mongering about AIDS, there was no discrimination against AIDS victims and President Reagan basically denied its existence for over five years, publicly mentioning AIDS for the first time in September 1986. What do we think of AIDS these days?

10. 351maverick

351maverick full time Ebay seller/hustler/car killer

I have literally ZERO fear of contracting the AIDS virus, as I do not participate in any activites that would expose me

AIDS, like Ebola, is someone else's problem, not mine

I DO NOT WORRY ABOUT THINGS THAT I CANNOT CONTROL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.