Edelbrock Pro Flow 4 Install

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by chiefburns, Feb 4, 2020.

1. biker

biker Veteran Member

Thanks for updating, that is exciting to have it run so well. I was worried about my vacuum signal as well, but I have 13ish inches of vac to work with, so if yours is working with 10, I should be fine. I'm upgrading to a CS alternator and electric fans as well, and it is good to hear that the factory tach can run off the ecu. Really looking forward to doing mine.

2. biker

biker Veteran Member

How do you find the throttle cam ratio/return spring effort? I don't know if I'm explaining that properly, but wondering how the gas pedal "feels" to operate. I guess I'm asking if it is easy to operate incrementally with light effort at low throttle input, as opposed to being really touchy or opening too quickly or being too stiff.

Thanks.

3. chiefburns

chiefburns New Member

I can't say that it feels any different than my Silverado, if that's a good comparison, but definitely way more reactive than my carb. Because my old throttle cable wasn't in the best condition, I did replace it when I made the swap so that may account for the difference in before and after. But I wouldn't describe it as touchy.

4. biker

biker Veteran Member

Ok good. Thanks again for the update, glad it is working out well.

5. rburrow87

rburrow87 Veteran Member

Good to hear, curious if there's an MPG difference. I usually fill it up on Sundays too. With my old low compression BBC, the Sniper somehow got the same or worse than the Q-jet that ran rich most of the time. Didn't improve with the modest 211/219 roller 350 that replaced it either.

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the 4150 Pro-Flo 4. Did more searching and I really can't find any complaints, just good things. Planning to T56 swap this year and I can tell the Sniper will be less than pleasant with that setup.

6. chiefburns

chiefburns New Member

As rich as my Demon carb was running it would almost have to get better gas mileage but I'll know for sure later in the week. I'm taking it to get a new exhaust system hopefully in the next day or so, if the weather cooperates. Magnaflow mufflers, x-pipe, and finally getting the hockey-stick tail pipes put on instead of just being stubbed out under the rear of the car.

7. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

I can tell you it works down to 6 inches of vacuum(pro flo 3 with xt manifold). It definitely works well and depending on your fan set up,you may want more than a stock cs alt will give you. Mine couldn't handle the fans, efi, or headlights all at once.

Going from my demon to the efi I went from 7.3mpg to 11.1mpg. This was the same exact trip. Same everything. Only change was from to efi. Demon ran awesome on top of all that. I can say over drive has really helped too. I am used to always hsvibg to get gas and that's but the case with over drive and a stick now.

8. chiefburns

chiefburns New Member

I haven’t noticed any power issues with my alt but if I do add the electric vacuum pump I’ll change it out for sure. Any suggestions on brand/type?

As far as mileage goes, I’m running a 700R4 and stock rear gears (2:73 I think) right now but thinking about stepping up to 3:43 or bigger plus posi to get better response off of the line. I don’t plan on drag racing it or anything but I also don’t see me taking long, interstate trips with it to where I need such a low gear.

9. biker

biker Veteran Member

Here is the alternator I just ordered last week. It is a CS style, bolts into the stock location, comes with an adapter to plug into the the stock harness, builder added a V belt pulley and painted it black. It is 140 amps, so I shouldn't have problems running fans, fuel pump, etc. https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Black-GM-14...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648
    Builder was great to deal with, knows his stuff.

76z28 and chiefburns like this.
  10. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

Oh then you should be fine. I had issues with the cs130 at 105 amps--mostly due to the electric fans. It never had an issue before.
    I went to an ad230 with an internal fan at 180 amps and single wire. I also updated to 4 gauge wire(about 15 inches of it) an it works great!(Edit: sorry 2 gauge wire I went from a 4 gauge)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020