Edelbrock Pro Flow 4 Install

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by chiefburns, Feb 4, 2020.

1. biker

biker Veteran Member

Wow. That's got some juice! I don't have ac, power windows, locks or any other high draw items. Fans, fuel pump, and a couple of stereo amps.
    Just trying to pick the best fans to use now. Would like to go with dual fans with a shallow depth, I see some people use Chrysler Intrepid or 300 fans and say they are quite shallow. I guess I will have to spend a day poking around a junk yard or getting measurements off the web.

2. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

Are you using a small or big block?
    I was going to try and use LS1(lt1 maybe) fans on mine and they didn't come close to fitting. The spal dual fans set up with the flaps that close at idle are awesome, I have room to spare!

3. biker

biker Veteran Member

Small block, 383, 10:1 compression. Stock rad, aluminum water pump, never had any issues with heat at all. You have a part number for the Spal fans you are using? I like the fact that the PF4 will run the fans. I'm going to use a junction block wired off the alternator output and a couple of big relays for the fans.

4. chiefburns

chiefburns New Member

I have a single, electric fan on mine (looks to be a cheap, no-name fan) and it rarely creeps over 190. But I do have an aftermarket alum radiator so that may be the difference.

5. biker

biker Veteran Member

Yes. I could probably get away with that too, I don't live in a hot area, but I will shop around for a decent fan to swap out of junkyard car and see what success I have with that.
    I see you posted on the Edelbrock forum as well. Have you considered a hydroboost system for your brake assist and just ditch the vacuum assist altogether? I know the vacuum pump does sound like a great fix, but I don't recall ever seeing one that worked really well.

6. chiefburns

chiefburns New Member

I looked into the hydro boost but cost was the main reason I was looking at the vacuum pump...and I haven’t pulled the trigger on that one either. What little bit I drive it, it’s really not that big of a deal. I think if hydro boost was my only option, I would just do a cam swap. I’m just not a mechanic and wouldn’t feel comfortable going that deep into it.

7. biker

biker Veteran Member

Understood. Vacuum pump is way cheaper, simpler and will give you what you want.

8. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Here's what I snatched off Ebay for $100. 1993 - 2002 Firebird Camaro SS LS1 5.7L Electric Dual Fan assembly OEM I bought a couple relays and let the ProFlo 4 controller drive both fans. I later wired another relay from the a/c clutch to provide another ground so both will come on with the a/c. They seem to do a pretty good job so far.
    On another note, I haven't had a chance to drive mine very much. Seems if we get a nice day, I've been volunteered for some type of charity event. I think I had more free time before I retired.

9. biker

biker Veteran Member

Nice! Ok, that is the type of opinion I was looking for. i will search for that as well. I hear you on retirement... I'm busier now than ever. 2 jobs plus plenty of home stuff to catch up on. Helps pay for the extra car stuff though...

10. biker

biker Veteran Member

I know there will be some fab involved, just wondering how close a match the fan assembly/shroud was for your rad?