Edelbrock Pro Flow 4 Install

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by chiefburns, Feb 4, 2020.

1. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

Definitely worth every penny. I tried all sorts of vacuum tricks. Hydroboost was the only one that worked.

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Surprisingly very little fab work involved. I installed the assembly upside down, made just a couple light trims with some shears. I had to use 2 aluminum bushings on the back side of the close out panel. A lot of guys here have done the same, not much to it.

3. CorkyE

I actually went from 9.5 to 11.5 in vac at idle with the ProFlo 4. Main reason is the ability to set initial timing, which I have mine at 20*. I have idle set at 875 rpm and the system uses IAC and timing to control idle rpm. I guess one downside, if you want to call it that, is the idle is really smoothed out, not as rumpity as with a carburetor. I have 227/233 duration, 597 lift (1.6 rockers), 112 LSA, and the cam certainly doesn't sound like it.

4. biker

biker Veteran Member

Im really looking forward to all of that. I'm on a 110 LSA with a bit more duration, so it should keep a bit of rumpity at idle. The ability to tailor the timing curve is so nice. I did lots of work on my HEI to get my vac reading up to 13, but too much initial with a normal distributor still causes hard starting. Something I don't think you have to worry about with PF4 if I have read the instructions well enough.

5. rburrow87

rburrow87 Veteran Member

Just finished up installing the 4150 PF4. Lit off on the first try. Took it for a quick drive to grab a celebratory drink and it already runs better than the Sniper did after all the fiddling around I've done since installing it back in November. Returns to idle nicely, extremely responsive throttle, and no more shuttling an SD card back and forth to make changes. Gotta see how it does with a cold start in the morning, but the initial cold start was already great.

It's a good 1.5" lower (maybe more actually, should've measured) than the Weiand Speed Warrior and Sniper combo. I will have to re-jigger my shaker setup to take advantage of that. Would be nice if the distributor was shorter like Hyperspark one.

I'm running some junkyard 4th gen LT1 fans along with a 4th gen radiator since it has mounts for the fans. I have a set of relays that run the fans in series for a low speed and parallel for high speed. I believe that's actually how the factory set them up too. I ran that setup with the low compression 454 and it was a tight fit with the serpentine setup, but it definitely fit. Miles of room with the 350 and 3rd gen f-body serpentine setup in it now.

I have a stock replacement ACDelco 88877296 105amp AD230 alternator and I'm extremely happy with it. Basically just sits there at ~14.4v under all conditions and temperatures. Don't have anything too crazy but I have a small 10" subwoofer, ILX-W650 head unit, Hella 100/80w headlights, Intellitronix gauges, an Aeromotive Stealth 200lph tank/pump, and the Edelbrock PF4 of course. Looks like Powermaster makes them with a 12-6 mount along with these guys on eBay (and in different amperages): https://www.ebay.com/itm/163074804221 Had a stock replacement CS130 before and it worked fine, but the voltage would drop a bit once it was heat soaked and idling. Not enough to be a problem, but that made it feel like it was at the edge of capacity. Haven't experienced that yet with the AD230 but I've only had it for a month.

76z28 likes this.
  6. biker

biker Veteran Member

Great info man, thanks for sharing. Sounds like you have a really good setup. I will check out the rad as well, it would be an upgrade from my old stock one.

7. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

That's how mine was. Edelbrock did a good job with their set up.

My idle vacuum didn't make a huge difference
    I'm a 489 with a 250/256 @0.050 on a 108 though.

8. rburrow87

rburrow87 Veteran Member

Under 100 miles still on the PF4 but I can't get over how much better it is and how little I need to mess with anything. Also can't believe how well it returns to idle (and runs in general) compared to the Sniper after all that tuning effort. I also really like that I can just hop in and turn the key straight to start and it'll fire off quick like a modern car.

Only issues I'm seeing so far is it surges at 2-3% throttle at little to no load and also surges in open loop on hot restarts until it goes into closed loop. Going to put a bunch more miles on it before I start attempting to do anything to correct it.

9. CorkyE

Try bringing idle up 50 rpm, that took care of my surging. My engine combo doesn't fit exactly with their maps, but I'm making some minor tweeks, and it's way above any carburetor I've had.

I guess this we're getting out of line with original intent of this thread, if mods want to move, I'm good with it.

Edit again - what is your IAC value?

10. rburrow87

rburrow87 Veteran Member

I tried that but it didn't seem to help much. I think it might be related to idle spark and advance start. I tried lowering the advance start rpm and upping the idle timing and it seemed reduce the part throttle surge. Default 1200 RPM advance start seems a bit high. May need to learn some with those spark changes too before the hot restart open loop surge cleans up. Really need to set up a cell phone mount so I can spot check the fuel trims and spark timing while driving.

My IAC value was 0 out of gear and I could see that it was pulling timing to get the idle to the target speed. Upped the idle speed a touch and closed the blades a hair and it stays around 5-10 in park/neutral and no fans running now.

Yeah this can be split off if needed. But based on the contents of the original post, it don't think it's really off topic. The internet could use more Pro-Flo 4 owner discussion threads!