EGR or Not EGR

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by JMA563, Jan 22, 2014.

1. JMA563

JMA563 New Member

Guys, just received a free 1978 Camaro Z28. Needs an intake manifold since the previous one is missing. Owner doesn't know what he did with it.
    When looking to buy a new Manifold, the question comes up. With EGR or Non-EGR? How can I find out if I need the one with or without EGR?
    PS. The car was sold in California - if that makes a difference.

thanks for your help.
    Jeff

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Welcome to NastyZ...

What are you local & state emission laws? The 78 came with an EGR valve but a lot of us have long since eliminated it, along with the other emission equipment. You don't need it to make it run correctly but maybe to get past the smog Nazis.

3. JMA563

JMA563 New Member

i live in Texas. Never tried to pass an old car like this. I will do some research from Texas to find out the requirements now for old cars.
    thanks!!
    Jeff

4. middleagecrisis

middleagecrisis Veteran Member

Fellow Texas resident here. Due to it's age, your Z is exempt from emissions testing. Get whatever intake you prefer, slap it on and go. You can title it for daily use, as a "classic" or an "antique". None of the three options will require an emission test. I wish someone would give me a "free" Camaro!

5. JMA563

JMA563 New Member

Thanks guys. Guess i will go with the NON-EGR since they seem to be the norm.
    I will be back with many more questions.
    Jeff

6. JMA563

JMA563 New Member

Just to make sure before i go and order new manifold. There is no difference between EGR and NON-EGR for my 1978. I am ok going Non EGR, just want to make sure i am not messing up. Don't need $300 mistakes.
    thanks again,
    Jeff

7. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Which intake are you looking at specifically? Some manifolds have a provision to either use or install a block off plate for the EGR. A non EGR manifold will not have a mount for this valve at all. EGR was an early means of bringing a cold engine up to temp and emission reduction as it recirculated a small amount of exhaust gas back through the engine. If you currently have this valve and decide to go with a non egr intake you'll need to cap the vacuum source to it.

8. JMA563

JMA563 New Member

this one from O'Reilly's

Edelbrock Performer - Intake Manifold
    Part Number: 2701
    Line: EDB
    90 Day Limited Warranty
    UPC: 85347027019
    Cast
    Non-EGR
    Idle-5500 RPM
    Chevrolet Small Block 262-400 CID
    For 4 BBL Carburetor
    Street/High Performance Use Only
    Detailed Description
    Optimized Intake Runner Design - Brand-New; Designed for Edelbrock Square Bore Carburetors; Maximizes Peak Torque Around 3500 RPM; Excellent Throttle Response and Mid-Range Power; Produced +5 HP and +9 ft/lbs. of Torque Over #2101; For Idle to 5550 RPM Street-Driven Performance; Dual-Plane Low-Rise Intake w/180 Deg Firing Order; Also Available Polished Version - See #27011

9. mjoc

mjoc Veteran Member

Just so you know. If it originally came with smog equipment it is illegal under federal law to remove or alter any of it. With that being said YOu would need to go with the EGR manifold.
    BUt if it was me I would get an non EGR manifold. less parts that can break.

Michael

10. DoTheDew

DoTheDew Veteran Member

That one will work fine.