Electric and heated seats

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by 5spd540, Mar 5, 2017.

1. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Has anyone done this in a 2nd gen. A friend of mine is going to be attempting this soon. He wants to install some heated and electric seats in his 71. Has anyone done this or have any info that might help us doing this? Thanks in advance.

2. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

The floor pan has a hump under the seat on the 70-73. Whatever seat he is using make sure the hump doesn't interfere with the seat motors. I tried to install a power seat from a Nissan 300zx without success due to this issue.

3. 5spd540

He has the floor cut out for rust and is gonna build panels to fit the seats in the car. I guess what I as after was wiring on this more than fitment I know he will get them to fit.

4. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

I'm not 100% on how power seats work, but I'd start by looking at the original connectors on the seat and looking up how they are wired (from the original manufacturer of the seats). I'd imagine its a pretty simple single hot system, although the heaters may use a separate power source (with a fat fat wire) than the motors. Also verify how the system grounds - through a connector or through the floor.

Be careful of in-seat airbags too. You don't want to accidentally blow them!! The Hyundai Genesis seats (non power) I'm using scare the crap out of me because they have the side-impact bags in them. I plan to take them to an interior guy to have them pulled and replaced with a filler.

5. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

There are both factory and aftermarket seats available seats out there,It all depends on you budget and your fabrication skills.

6. 5spd540

Still looking for info for this. Diving into it next sat

7. junkyardZ28find

junkyardZ28find Veteran Member

I'd hit the yards for 3-series BMW seats....they fit pretty nice in 2nd gens and don't look bulky or out of place.

8. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Because the power seats are usely taller off the floor for motor clerance .it can be harder for a tall person to be fited. The wireing on most is all in the seat and only need hot and a ground , and heated part need the switches. On some models , driver's seat may have menmory,and more ,harder to wire ,, just get 2 sets of passanger wireing for both rt and lt sets.

9. XxWickedz28xX

XxWickedz28xX Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Wait.....your buddy cut the floor pans out and is building custom floor pans, but cant figure out how wire power seats?:screwup::screwup::screwup:

10. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

I'm always amazed that people drive their Camaros in bad weather!