Electric Car Road Tax

doug m

Veteran Member
Mar 31, 2020
In the bad jokes section theres a meme on road tax. i dont have a electric car and nothing against them, but fuel users pay a road tax per gallon, just wondering if theres a tax on electricty for roads that the electric car users have to pay, or are they driving on our roads free?

danbrennan

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 13, 1999
Brighton, MI
I think some states have a special registration fee for electric cars. There's also talk of taxing electric cars based on periodic odometer readings. Even using GPS to vary the charge based on time of day congestion. I don't think anyone has implemented those yet, though.

Da-bigguy

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jan 19, 2010
Cypress, TX
They will come up with something to tax them I'm sure. I can see them using a mileage tax, taking the data from the GPS system that most cars seem to have installed these days.

danbrennan

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 13, 1999
Brighton, MI
I hadn't been paying attention, I guess Michigan is one of the states that has a special additional registration fee for EVs,

"In 2015, Michigan lawmakers approved a road-funding package that increased registration fees for hybrid ($30) and electric vehicle ($100) drivers. An additional fee is also tied to each 1-cent increase in the state gas tax, which will be adjusted for inflation starting in 2022. Combined with annual registration fees that all drivers pay based on the value of their vehicles, hybrid and electric vehicle drivers pay between $300 and $390 in upfront fees, the report says."

"States across the U.S. are dealing with similar debates. New or higher registration fees for electric vehicle drivers kicked in on Jan. 1 in at least eight states, ranging from $50 in Hawaii to $200 in Ohio. The shift marks the first time a majority of states will have specific fees on gas-free cars, the Associated Press reported last month."

ZsZs

Veteran Member
Jun 6, 2017
I've always wondered what road tax the Amish pay. It seems their horses and buggy's do a pretty good job of tearing up the asphalt.

La.Z8

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jan 6, 2003
N.W. Louisiana
Here in La. the legislature implemented a use tax starting in Oct 2022. $ 60 per year for a hybrid and $ 120 per for an EV. Of course it`s not going to help much as our roads need a lot of improvement due to some heavy back pockets being loaded up with $$.

mallard

Veteran Member
Oct 3, 2013
SK, Canada
I've always wondered what road tax the Amish pay. It seems their horses and buggy's do a pretty good job of tearing up the asphalt.
No Amish near me but somehow I don’t see buggy use anywhere increasing dramatically in the next number of years. 😱

Latest posts