Electric Car Road Tax

dcozzi

Veteran Member
May 1, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
I'll believe the Corporate giants care, even a little, when they give up their corporate jets. It's all a money grab and not wanting to get left behind if/when the change becomes real.

SPG

Bumblebee Builder
Gold Member
Sep 1, 2018
Sacramento
A lot of questionable things in this thread, but the mining to drilling comparison was by far the most hilarious because they're both terrible for the environment. Oil isn't as amazing as that meme makes it out to be

Last edited:

Todd80Z28

Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 11, 2002
Northern VA
IIRC, that's a copper mine photo. The person who made the meme knew that most people wouldn't research that.
How about an aerial from Fort McMurray tar sands mining? This is what Keystone XL was primarily meant for-
enrpresc1_000048714798_2400.jpg

Da-bigguy

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jan 19, 2010
Cypress, TX
IIRC, that's a copper mine photo. The person who made the meme knew that most people wouldn't research that.
How about an aerial from Fort McMurray tar sands mining? This is what Keystone XL was primarily meant for-
enrpresc1_000048714798_2400.jpg
I do know that the gov't requires the producers to reclaim the land after they have finished the extraction. Here are a couple of pics reportedly taken of one mine site in northern Alberta

Mildred Lake mine site before reclamation
mildred lake before.jpg

Mildred Lake mine site after reclamation
Mildred lake after.jpg

I do know the Canadian tar sands have some of the toughest environmental laws they need to follow which makes it more expensive to produce the oil but when it is as high as it has been, it should be a boom for Canada. Unfortunately because Keystone XL and other pipelines can't get built, Alberta oil ends up selling at a fraction of what it should sell at. At one point, it effectively had a negative price!!

EDIT: I also understand that most of the new production in the tar sands come from less intrusive methods such as they inject steam into the ground to get the tar to the point they can pump it out more like regular oil is pumped so no more strip mining like in the early days of development.

Last edited:

ULTM8Z

Veteran Member
May 19, 2000
Los Angeles
lol... And so the war on A/C begins...

I've already seen numerous Op-Eds with the pampered ruling elite belly-aching how everyone else having A/C is killing the planet and racist to boot...

But I think this is the first instance I've seen of a government actually taking direct action like this against it. Probably won't be the last.

And you can bet no one in the Spanish government will be abiding by this... They mismanage the electric grid and instead of fixing it, they tell the populace "you'll do with less and learn to like it!"

Last edited:

Knuckle Dragger

Mayor of Simpleton
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 2, 2002
Waddell AZ
lol... And so the war on A/C begins...

I've already seen numerous Op-Eds with the pampered ruling elite belly-aching how everyone else having A/C is killing the planet and racist to boot...

But I think this is the first instance I've seen of a government actually taking direct action like this against it. Probably won't be the last.

And you can bet no one in the Spanish government will be abiding by this... They mismanage the electric grid and instead of fixing it, they tell the populace "you'll do with less and learn to like it!"

IIRC Carter administration did it too.

I was right: https://www.nytimes.com/1979/07/11/...g-limit-for-public-buildings-this-summer.html

scrap--metal

Veteran Member
Jan 8, 2007
Bloomington, MN
Just read this thread against my best judgement. At least it was entertaining.

The level of fanaticism against fossil fuels and this global warming stuff is just mind blowing.
This is what hits me hardest. No expense or lack of foresight will deter the push for electrification at this point.

At least the drought and single use plastic problems have merit. This vilification of fossil fuels isn't justified the way it's made out to be.

Last edited:

tom3

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 1999
ohio