Electric Car Road Tax

tom3

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 1999
ohio
Here in Ohio there is a Hybrid fee and a full EV fee. Higher EV is $200 I think.

BARNFIND

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 20, 2007
GPS WENT DEAD...LOST
Before I retired I was driving 160 miles a day round trip to work from Tennessee to North Carolina, my car got about 30 mpg and the gas tax in TN is about 27 cents per gal. So I was paying $7 a week in gas tax and that comes out to between $300 and $360 per year in gas tax just for gas used to go to work. That doesn't include any driving other than to and from work. TN charges a flat fee of $100/year for EV, that is sure to go up as more people buy EV. tom3 Ohio example of $200/year for EV is compared to a gas tax of about 38 cents per gal. I am thinking that it won't be long before $500+ is the norm for an EV.

xten

Veteran Member
Sep 24, 2014
Pittsburgh, Pa.
I think the gas tax here in Pa. is $.58 per gallon as of last year. Our roads are terrible.
There is legislation to raise annual registration on hybrids and EV's, although I don't know if they've been enacted yet. There's a doctor dropping a hybrid off at my shop tomorrow, he owns 2 of them. I'll ask him what he pays to register them.

grzewnicki

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Dec 9, 2009
Gordon from Jacksonville Fl
Only fair that hybrid/electric vehicles get charged for using roads. Fair would be based on mileage and taxes based on what the average vehicle comparable to your size would have paid in state and federal road taxes. In the case of larger electric vehicles like the Ford truck, that would be based on the average truck MPG/fuel used. I'm all for electric vehicles, but you can't bitch about being taxed to use the roads. A 2018 study by the University of Michigan’s Transportation Research Institute found that the average cost to fuel an electric car was $485 a year, compared to $1,117 for a gas-powered vehicle. A 2020 Consumer Reports study similarly showed that EV drivers tend to spend about 60 percent less each year on fuel costs compared to drivers of gas-powered cars. Sorry but some of your savings has to go to fund the roads you drive on. Anyone who argues that simple point should just stick with a internal combustion engine vehicle. Nothing is free.

Javelin3o4

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 21, 2004
Concord, CA
CA keeps bringing up wanting to tax based on mileage but for gas and EV's. Cause you know CA doesn't tax us enough.

John Wright

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Aug 9, 2002
Rustburg, Va
I think the gas tax here in Pa. is $.58 per gallon as of last year. Our roads are terrible.
There is legislation to raise annual registration on hybrids and EV's, although I don't know if they've been enacted yet. There's a doctor dropping a hybrid off at my shop tomorrow, he owns 2 of them. I'll ask him what he pays to register them.
I think there should be some kind of audit to show how the state's gas tax is currently being used, with all of that money coming in, the roads should be paved with gold and smooth as a baby's butt by this point.

camarochevy1970

Veteran Member
Jan 23, 2003
Pittsburgh, PA
I think there should be some kind of audit to show how the state's gas tax is currently being used, with all of that money coming in, the roads should be paved with gold and smooth as a baby's butt by this point.
I agree with that. I have tried to do the research myself and can not figure out how that money is spent

tom3

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 1999
ohio
When was the last time you ever saw a poor politician? Those yachts are not being paid for with any salary for sure.